X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a tasting I heard that there are three kinds of single malts:

yours, friends, and mother-in-law.

While each was described, I don't think I have to explain here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    I've quite a nice selection of single malts in my liquor cabinet. My special and more favourite ones are on one side and the less favourite and less special ones on the other. Over the years I've learned which of my friends can appreciate the difference and from that I decide which side of the cabinet the bottle comes from. Don't get me wrong I really love to share a good single malt with friends that appreciate it .....Those that aren't as discerning don't mind having the less special malts and after a couple of drams of the more special single malts the bottles are put away and we all are drinking from the less special side.......just my way of doing things and nobody feels insulted
    I do the same thing with my craft beer selection. Not being a single malt drinker, i would take no offence if offered a drink from the "less special " side.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedcontractor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've quite a nice selection of single malts in my liquor cabinet. My special and more favourite ones are on one side and the less favourite and less special ones on the other. Over the years I've learned which of my friends can appreciate the difference and from that I decide which side of the cabinet the bottle comes from. Don't get me wrong I really love to share a good single malt with friends that appreciate it .....Those that aren't as discerning don't mind having the less special malts and after a couple of drams of the more special single malts the bottles are put away and we all are drinking from the less special side.......just my way of doing things and nobody feels insulted
    As someone who would probably be more deserving of the less special I can appreciate the distinction, I don't drink enough to fully grasp all the subtleties and finer would be wasted on me. As someone who prefers rum there's where my tastes lie anyways. I will have to pass this thread onto my FIL who is a fine scotch drinker and the next time he proffers a glass I'll give this a try, it may give a new and better appreciation for scotch.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    At a tasting I heard that there are three kinds of single malts:

yours, friends, and mother-in-law.

While each was described, I don't think I have to explain here
    Well yes, I can well understand the sentiments!

Generally, in Scotland there is one whisky brand in the cupboard. The brand that the resident of the house likes. There is no need for any other. Why waist money on other brands? So, if the brand of whisky is good enough for him then its good enough for his guests. Simple really.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well yes, I can well understand the sentiments!

Generally, in Scotland there is one whisky brand in the cupboard. The brand that the resident of the house likes. There is no need for any other. Why waist money on other brands? So, if the brand of whisky is good enough for him then its good enough for his guests. Simple really.
    I totally disagree with your comment......there are a great many houses in Scotland that have more than one bottle of Whisky just from one distiller, I know for a fact as I have been in many of those homes, in the Islands, Highlands, Lowlands, and east and west sides of the country......my favourite are Islay whiskies for the smoke and the peat they offer .......not for everyone's taste and so I have other whiskies as well....in my opinion Money is never wasted on other brands as they are all enjoyable in various ambiances and with different people.......just my opinion and quite verifiable

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting silly. I am quite sure that there are many houses in Scotland with more than one variety of whisky residing in them and I don't doubt that for a second. Somehow though, I rather think that I have visited rather more Scottish homes and had a wee dram within, than you have.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th August 17 at 11:30 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now I agree

This is getting silly. I am quite sure that there are many houses in Scotland with more than one variety of whisky residing in them and I don't doubt that for a second. Somehow though, I rather think that I have visited rather more Scottish homes and had a wee dram within, than you have.
    You are right your comment was and is a bit silly

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right your comment was and is a bit silly
    `i think that I shall treat the above reply of yours Terry with the contempt it deserves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as I do yours

`i think that I shall treat the above reply of yours Terry with the contempt it deserves.
    as I do yours

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, young boys. Back off, hold hands and be nice.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast