X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any pipe bands in Long Island near Queens?

Starting sept 1 I'm leaving upstate NY for Oceanside NY on Long Island and the wife has been hinting that she would like me to learn the bag pipes so I thought I'd looking into a pipe band when I get down there. I'm open to any suggestions. Also hoping to meet fellow kilt wearers down there as I'm it around where I live now, maybe join a bar night or two.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo-hoo! You are going to be my neighbor; I moved to Merrick not long ago, so I'll be right around the corner.

There are a few bands on LI (start saying "on Long Island," not "in Long Island," or the locals grow restless then violent) - I play at Saffron United in Babylon, who seem to be the most supportive of adults learning the pipes, but there are a few others around. I moved here while still on the chanter, so some local bands didn't seem interested.

There re is a local brewery in Oceanside and another in Freeport if you want to thrown on the kilts and grab a beer sometime.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I don't seem biased, attached is a fairly exhaustive list of pipe bands in NYC and on Long Island. https://bagpipersparadise.yolasite.c...s-new-york.php

I think Inis Fada is going to be the physically closest to you in Oceanside. Big Bill is a friend of mine (he competed with us at SU last year). Some of the bands don't teach new people - Metro and Empire stand out as examples.

I am more than happy to chat about them, and if you do come to Saffron United to check out the band and lessons, let me know so I can make sure someone knows you and/or your wife will be coming down and has time and a chanter or two.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to check them out. I have no clue what I'm doing so a recommended group that welcomes beginners is the best place to start.