X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New X-Kilt Project - Wish me luck.

The wife is away for two weeks visiting her family in Michigan, so what do I do, start a new project. I have several bits/bolts of canvas in my stash so I am starting with some black canvas and I am going to see how long it will take to build a new cargo kilt using the X-Kilt directions as my starting point.

This will be my first kilt building project since Kilt Kamp. Wish me luck. I will be keeping y'all appraised of my progress and beg for help as needed along the way.

Thanks,
    Stoff

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the kilt Kamp photos Christoff. I bet the new kilt will be just the ticket. Post photos afterwards please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I saw the kilt Kamp photos Christoff. I bet the new kilt will be just the ticket. Post photos afterwards please.
    I intend to make photos as I go and will post them as I can.

Stoff

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Report

Hi All,

Well, I did get started. In fact it was probably a pretty good start, I just did not get as much done as I wanted too. All of the lower two thirds of the pleat edges are top stitched and the first four box pleats are sewn down at the fell.

Here are the photos so far:

More later. I am hoping to get back on it this evening.

Thanks,
    Stoff

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far so good. Last night I finished sewing the fell and also finished pressing the pleats in good. then I forgot to get photos, I will need to get some at lunch today and post them this afternoon. I am seriously considering lining at least the rump section over the fell, this is as much to hide the inside assembly as anything else. Hopefully tonight I can get the lining and waistband on and possible get a good start on assembling the cargo pockets.

More later.

Thanks,
    Stoff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good night last night. Then new kilt is almost finished. The lining, waistband and velcro are in. I have given it all a good hard steam press. Tonight I plan to dot the belt loops and pockets. Then to clean up the mess and put everything away in preparation for the wife's return home early next week.

Perhaps I will be able wear it tomorrow.

Here are the photos from last night:

More news tomorrow, hopefully with photos of me wearing it.

Thanks,
    Stoff

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These questions will arise, how did you press the pleats and did you use any starch to maintain the sharpness of the edges? Keep us informed as you wear your kilt and how it behaves in the long run.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    These questions will arise, how did you press the pleats and did you use any starch to maintain the sharpness of the edges? Keep us informed as you wear your kilt and how it behaves in the long run.
    The how is with a simple steam iron set as high as it would go. Cotton will take a pretty crisp edge, it just sometime has trouble maintaining that edge without re-pressing.

As for maintaining the pleat edges, they are actual sewn, sewn very close to the edge. Or, at least the outer faces. the author of "The X-Kilt", Alan Hebert even now recommends sewing both the outer and the inner edges. I am now considering how best to go back and top stitch at least most of the inner edges.

Stoff

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished

Yay! I finished it last night. Belt loops and pockets assembled and installed with the final pressing using spray sizing. And I am wearing it to the office today.

Here are the photos:

Thanks,

Stoff

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night getting into the car to go to dinner with the youngest son, what happens, the right hand cargo pocket of the new kilt caught on the steering wheel and ripped through three rows of stitches to come off. So this morning I decided that I was going to remove the left hand pocket sew the adhesive mounted velcro in place and remount the pockets, in a bit more secure fashion.

Fast forward to this evening, the kilt is repaired. On top of taking care of the pockets I also retrofitted the inner pleats, as recommended in the appendix of the X-Kilt instruction, by top stitching the edge of the inner pleats. This makes it near impossible to lose the crease in the pleats. Now to decide when and where to wear it again.