X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wide knife pleat vs box pleat

I'm at the point of pressing pleats, which I'm not finding easy, I tried tacking them down but found it just made for wavy pleats. Part of the issue I'm running into is in the slight overlap in the back of the pleats from adjusting the pleats narrower then the ideal for the pattern. As I started stitching the edges to make everything easier to press to as perfect a line I couldn't help thinking it looked good albeit different as a knife pleat. In the pic the pleats with the white thread holding the edges are knife style and lay flat while the box pleats on the left have been pressed flat. It won't take much for me to finish stitching down the other side to make box pleats but I can't decide if its worth the effort to do so and just not stick to wide knife pleats; thoughts?

IMG_20170829_160858_01.jpg
    Last edited by derosa; 29th August 17 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On uploading pictures, if the file is too large it won't play. I email them to myself and select "small" when prompted for attachment size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    On uploading pictures, if the file is too large it won't play. I email them to myself and select "small" when prompted for attachment size.
    That did it, thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the width, box pleat gets my vote for visual appeal draped, and appears it flashes the yellow stripe more prominently. Looks good

and, you're welcome
    Last edited by Taskr; 29th August 17 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I understand the problem. Perhaps you could re-word your description a little better.

Oh, and when you baste be very carefull to keep the pleats below the bottom of the Fell perfectly straight and parallel. The way this kilt is basted will cause large, shower curtain folds in the back of the kilt.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it just comes down to; is box pleats or wide knife pleats better. If that's a standard weave tartan, the pleats are about 2"wide which support box well.
    Last edited by Taskr; 29th August 17 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the problem. Perhaps you could re-word your description a little better.

Oh, and when you baste be very carefull to keep the pleats below the bottom of the Fell perfectly straight and parallel. The way this kilt is basted will cause large, shower curtain folds in the back of the kilt.
    Basically I tried basting like the book said and that failed, the 4 pleats on the right side are the result and not as straight as I'd like, so I started stitching the edges to get them straight for pressing. But in doing so I thought it looked kind of nice as a knife pleat, the original goal was/is a box. I think the problem with basting and pressing was the fact that the back of the box pleats overlap so it isn't flat under the pleats and I'm not that skilled with an iron. Just trying to decide if it will ultimately look odd with just 12 wide knife pleats and seeking some collective wisdom.