X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Your forebear may have been arrested and imprisoned in the latter half of the 1780s but he wouldn't have been for being a Jacobite. TheJacobite threat was well and truly over by that date which is one of the reasons that the Act of Repeal was able to be passed in 1782. It's more likely that he left Scotland for economic reasons at that date.
    You know family tales are passed on. You probably are correct, but I do know they left and did spend time imprisoned in Fort Williams. Angus MacDonald, was a Colonel in the Jacobite uprising of 1745-46, was at Culloden, and went into hiding in the Highlands. There is a small monument at Knoydart dedicated to him and two others. Still researching and trying to get facts straight as opposed to family tales. Thanks for the enlightening, this will help me.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Your forebear may have been arrested and imprisoned in the latter half of the 1780s but he wouldn't have been for being a Jacobite. TheJacobite threat was well and truly over by that date which is one of the reasons that the Act of Repeal was able to be passed in 1782. It's more likely that he left Scotland for economic reasons at that date.
    One other thing, I do know Angus was captured, put to trail, and all his lands, and property was taken away, don't know the dates, but his life was spared. Angus had two brothers and a sister, all left Scotland in 1790, arriving at Cape Bretton, NS, 1791. About 60 children on the ship they arrived in died at see due to disease. Like I said trying to piece everything together, and this itself is the result of years of research. Not as simple as doing a search on Ancestory.com, MUCH MORE COMPLICATED. Cheers
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireClansman View Post
    Most people say all of the Geographical Highlands minus the North-Eastern Plains or "Low Lands" which can be grouped with the Lowlands. But I've just found something that could somewhat counter this. And possibly mean that Historical Highland Dress and tartan could be found outside of the Gàidhealtachd seemingly commonly?
    People forget that gaelic was being spoken in places like Aberdeenshire at this time. The last native speaker of the local dialect died in the 1980s. Whatever the Picts spoke originally, the Gaelic language was the main language until the gradual displacement by Doric sometime during the later middle ages.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Damion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    One other thing, I do know Angus was captured, put to trail, and all his lands, and property was taken away, don't know the dates, but his life was spared. Angus had two brothers and a sister, all left Scotland in 1790, arriving at Cape Bretton, NS, 1791. About 60 children on the ship they arrived in died at see due to disease. Like I said trying to piece everything together, and this itself is the result of years of research. Not as simple as doing a search on Ancestory.com, MUCH MORE COMPLICATED. Cheers
    If you haven't read this you may find it of interest - Two old Plaids found in Nova Scotia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    One thing that we should always be aware of, is judging others, or others from another time or place, by our own concepts or the standards of today.

In the time prior to the 1800's it was not common for people to be as mobile as we are today. Many people were never further from their place of birth than a day's horse ride. Or about 20 miles. Travelers were often merchants, tinkers, entertainers etc. who lived a nomadic life.

Farmers took their produce to the nearest village where it was purchased by other locals. Marriages were among people who had grown up knowing each other all their lives.

The Highlands were rugged and very sparsely populated. There were very few roads other than horse and wagon tracks. Boats on the Lochs could, and did, travel further and faster than by land. I have seen figures which state that while the total population of Scotland at the time of Culloden was 1.2 million, that the population of the Highlands was less than 60,000 total souls. Or about one average American small town.

Joining the military was considered a great adventure. You may get to see something outside of your own valley. And you had stories that would wow the people back home for the rest of your entire life about the strange and exotic people and places you saw. The people you may or may not have come home to were still living hand to mouth just like when you left.

We also need to understand this whole thing about weaving of fabrics, not just Tartan. Most of the wool in the UK was shipped to 'the low countries' where it was processed, spun and woven. It was then shipped back to the UK as cloth. This was actually cheaper than relying on local weaving which could not produce much more than for local use. It was not until the Industrial Revolution that power came to the world enabling powered looms and mass production.
    My wife is a weaver and spinner. I have just watched her spend three entire days cleaning and spinning just one fleece. 1/4 of enough for a modern kilt. Women back when did not have the ability to spend an entire day behind a spinning wheel. They spun, in the evenings, all winter to have enough yarn for it to be woven into cloth for their own family by a travelling weaver. These guys would travel around with their loom in the back of a wagon and go from village to village in the summer weaving the yarn that the women had spent an entire winter spinning.

History is a fascinating subject. Historians are always trying to warn against the common error of thinking that times past were much like our own.
    That's true of a lot of ethnicities. I'd bet my Italian side was quite the same until coming to the US in the early 1900s and then they stayed where they were for the most part. My dad was the only one to not marry someone of Italian descent and move away from the home town, a huge 7 miles. Lovely hard working people, but they like to stick to what they know. On the other hand, mom's family was all over hell and creation, some coming here to Virginia in the 1600s, others later and we've made loops. She was born of folk that did the Oregon trail and was born in Tacoma and moved to NY when she was young. I live in AZ now, so it keeps moving around in circles sort of...
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12