X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauled!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a Mardi Gras ball two years ago, I had a younger woman, (than me anyway), follow me around trying to use her phone to take a picture under my kilt. Last year, while on the dance floor another thought it would be funny to do a full kilt-check, (full lift)...I asked her how she would feel if I walked into her place of business and performed a similar skirt check on her......

Bottom line, it ain't appropriate for either gender to invade anyone's personal space.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Destin_scot For This Useful Post:

SBurton is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin_scot View Post
    At a Mardi Gras ball two years ago, I had a younger woman, (than me anyway), follow me around trying to use her phone to take a picture under my kilt. Last year, while on the dance floor another thought it would be funny to do a full kilt-check, (full lift)...I asked her how she would feel if I walked into her place of business and performed a similar skirt check on her......

Bottom line, it ain't appropriate for either gender to invade anyone's personal space.
    Just a wee bit of decorum goes a long way...

People often don't know how to react to a new and unique situation.

Thus, more men in kilts are needed!
    Q: What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?

A: Socks and shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we all have a standard answer to the "What do you wear/have under your kilt?" question. Mine is to look down and answer, "Socks and shoes, of course.".

Stoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    I think we all have a standard answer to the "What do you wear/have under your kilt?" question. Mine is to look down and answer, "Socks and shoes, of course.".

Stoff
    My standard answer to somebody who is actually asking (rather than joking) is to say "There are three that know the answer to that question - me, my wife, and God, and that's the way it's going to stay."
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

SBurton is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, now that I think about it, perhaps the most honest answer is:

'Whatever feels the most comfortable to me at the time.'
    Q: What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?

A: Socks and shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

When you see them a feeling of envy will be so great you will not only want to eat your own heart out, but also the one of the next closest person to you.
    https://youtu.be/Z3sLhnDJJn0
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting on pics from our closing banquet last Sunday evening. The photographer took hundreds of shots, so it may be a few days, but they will be coming.

The comments about the women are always interesting. I fear wind more than the Wendys. However, some gals are unpredictable, and best guarded against in polite company. I'm generally not a prude, but prudery is probably the best default position. If I were to report what a woman asked of me the previous weekend you might be shocked and I'd be thrown off the forum, yet in that situation it was within bounds and prudery only minimally required. As we were taught at the Infantry School, everything depends on the situation.

I've developed an idea about style that perhaps may be of interest, and you'll see how I use it in the upcoming photos. As Steve Ashton has advised many times for everyday wear pick out a shirt, pair it with similarly colored hose, and buckle on any kilt without regard to color and you will always look well turned out.

For dressier wear, when a waist coat is worn, and I have different colors, more or less match the hose to the waist coat and you will look well turned out. But, this where I'm coming from. I wear a dark charcoal grey Kilt Kut jacket from Steve's rack. It came with a matching waistcoat. Together they look like storm clouds on the horizon, probably best worn at a kilted funeral. The grey on the other hand goes well with many other less ominous ones.

For the banquet I wore a pale gray waistcoat and light grey hose with my Chattahoochee tartan. The mixed grays were neutral and let the tartan shine, yet the grey combination didn't look heavy. I think the look worked. The only thing that might be done to improve it is to loose 30 pounds.

Those who fancy the Lovat hues for jackets are very limited in what they can do with other colors. And Lovat shades dont cut it when a dark suit is what's requried of others not kilted. Those who prefer brown's are likewise limited, although to a lessor degree. A brown jacket could successfully be worn with a darker green waistcoat and bottle green hose, for example. To my mind a dark grey jacket ought to be the first item of more traditional dress one should buy as it's versatility is almost limitless.

I feel I can wear less somber hued waist coats with my black Argyll as well. A black waist coat is not absolutely necessary. I've had the chromed buttons removed from my Argyll and replaced with covered buttons in black. It is not a showy jacket, but one that can work in many ways.

As for waist coats in particular my opinion is not only can a variety of colors work with neutral jackets, but a variety of patterns and textures work well. I like jacquard, velvet and other nontraditional choices. I have yet to spend on additional waistcoats but have found a place with a great many to chose from. It is here:

http://www.dobell.com/mens/formalwear/vests/

Starting with a neutral colored jacket you can use vests and hose to work an unlimited number of looks for very reasonable cost, far less expensive than buying multiple jackets and matching waistcoats. If you fancy converting a convential suit jack for wear with a kilt, start with a dark grey one and you will have unlimited options before you.

Next time back to the mauling.
    Benning School for Boys
    97th Company
    OC 5-68

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Of course when i wrote this and previewed my message the pictures were there. As usual the Xmarks system got the best if me again. Maybe before hell freezes over they will somehow appear here.)

Finally have pics to share. Here they are.

First, a closeup of Chattahoochee tartan showing one of the pleating options suggested by Barb T. Second, the kilt and the rest on my attire.

Barb did such a fantastic job on the kilt. It's amazing what she can do.

Maybe it's because I have a strong connection with the Chattahoochee region, the Chattahoochee River is strongly associated with the Infantry School, but I feel the tartan has got to be just about the prettiest around. All the basic tartan colors make it up.
    Last edited by Benning Boy; 16th September 17 at 11:54 PM.
    Benning School for Boys
    97th Company
    OC 5-68

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, I'm afraid you have a misfire on the photos again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos

Here they are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chat v. 1(1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	31911
    Click image for larger version.