X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Willie View Post
    I do want to make my own Kilt Hose Garters. I've been online researching, and I think I know what I am going to use for Fabric. I have this Clan Farquharson Tartan Scarf the moths decided to visit. They put about 6 holes in the scarf. I was thinking of making my Hose Garters out of this old Scarf. I am not that Good with a Needle and a Thread, so will have to find someone who is to put a hem in the cut side. I think they would look good with the Black Hose...
    Perhaps you could use Barbara Tewksbury's flash-making technique. The post about it on this forum was most likely trashed by Photobucket, but the instructions are included at the end of the box-pleated supplement for TAoK: http://scottishtartans.org/pdf/Box_p...es_ver_1.1.pdf If you're really that bad with a needle, you could even secure the folded-over edge with more iron-on hem tape, and glue the Velcro to the elastic (with actual Velcro glue; sticky-back will not hold as well), or just buy pre-made garters. And then you could fringe the edges rather than cutting them into a chevron (though make sure the fusible web stops short of the part you want to fringe) to achieve a similar look. I know it's not the same as actual self-tied garters, but considering that we wear tailored kilts now rather than hand-pleated phillabegs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    Perhaps you could use Barbara Tewksbury's flash-making technique. The post about it on this forum was most likely trashed by Photobucket, but the instructions are included at the end of the box-pleated supplement for TAoK: http://scottishtartans.org/pdf/Box_p...es_ver_1.1.pdf If you're really that bad with a needle, you could even secure the folded-over edge with more iron-on hem tape, and glue the Velcro to the elastic (with actual Velcro glue; sticky-back will not hold as well), or just buy pre-made garters. And then you could fringe the edges rather than cutting them into a chevron (though make sure the fusible web stops short of the part you want to fringe) to achieve a similar look. I know it's not the same as actual self-tied garters, but considering that we wear tailored kilts now rather than hand-pleated phillabegs...
    A very interesting read, skimmed the instruction and history of the Box Pleated Kilt. On a side note I see my Utility Kilt is Box Pleated in a way with wide pleats. The instructions on making the Flashes are quite easy to understand. Will have to try my hand at it, I bet one could make the double fabric (a shorter piece of fabric in front of a longer bit of fabric) two piece flash set, like the navy blue and black set of flashes I have now.. Thank you for sharing, gives me something new to work on.. I have noticed that Tartan Flashes don't seem to have this shorter bit of fabric in front of the longer piece of fabric... May have to experiment...
    William Hardie {Bill}

Dad - Clan Farquharson, Clan MacKintosh {Septs}..
    Mum - Clan Fraser of Lovat, Clan Livingstone, Clan Chisholm, Clan Hunter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123