X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan Kilt Flashes..

I've searched the threads for this being posed already, but didn't find anything, so if the question was already posed, I apologise for asking it again..

As some of you know, I've ordered my Clan Farquharson Modern Tartan Kilt, and should have it in about another 5-6 weeks.. They were just weaving the Fabric when I ordered it... Now my Question. I am thinking about getting some Clan Farquharson Tartan Flashes to wear on Special Occasions..

Would it be better to Order them with the Kilt so that they will be made out of the fabric that the Kilt is being made from, or can I order them at a later date as there won't be that much difference in Colour Composition?.. I just read online and saw the youtube videos that suggest the Tartan Flashes are best ordered with the Kilt so they match..

I already have my Solid Black and Navy Blue Flashes, and plan on getting a set of Solid Dark Green Flashes when I pick up the Kilt the end of October.. I guess another question, What colour Kilt Hose would you suggest I wear with the Clan Farquharson Kilt? I have a pair of White Kilt Hose, and bought a pair of Black Knee Socks that come up over the knee and they have a nice Ribbed Pattern.

Oh, I long given up on the idea of ordering a Fly Plaid with the Kilt so the Colours Match... I see no place or event that I'd ever wear it...

Thanks

Bill..

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally do not wear Tartan flashes. I usually don't wear flashes at all unless I am dressed in a jacket and tie. When I do wear flashes I will usually coordinate the color of my flashes to my pocket square or my tie. I use flashes as "that little splash of color" in an outfit.

Flashes are a simulation of the ends of hand tied Garters. It would have been very uncommon to find, let alone use as garters, ribbon woven in Tartan.
    The idea of flashes that are made from Tartan appears to be a fairly new idea and seems to be one that was first put forth around the same time as the "Matchy matchy" and "Cookie cutter" look began to hit the kilt world.
    If you like the idea of Tartan flashes you are welcome to wear them but as this look is less than 20 years old it cannot be said to be 'traditional' which implies more than a couple of generations of accepted use.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, I think that hose between a rust and pumpkin color would look great with tartan flashes (in your case). I believe you could get away with mustard and burgundy also. These colors would depend on the event and how much attention you want to attract.

I actually wear elastic garters to keep my hose up (when kilted) and my solid red flashes are attached. Until I expand my hose color collection (to match the growing variety of kilts) I'll stick with just the one set of flashes for now.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Steve on tartan flashes. They aren't traditional in any sense and are not something that most folks would consider as an upgrade to regular flashes (except the retailers who want to sell them to you as special items).

But with that said, it appears that a lot of kilt makers will throw in a set of tartan flashes with the kilt whether you ask for them or not. I have several sets of them that came with my kilts, and they never get worn. It's an easy thing for kilt makers to make them with some of the scrap tartan. If you're really set on having tartan flashes, it's a good idea to have them made from the same cloth so they match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ditto on that; my tartan flashes sit in a drawer unused. I've a small collection of cloth ribbon flashes that I've fashioned myself over a few years (fold ribbon, stitch, stagger chevron cut. Slide on to elastic as needed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called the store today and was talking to the Lady who has set me up with the Kilt, and she told me that Store has a set of Kilt Flashes made from the scraps of the Fabric the Kilt is made from, so they will match. They include them with the Kilt.. Thank you everyone for all your advice, I will see what they look like, maybe I'll wear them on really Special Occasions. When I pick my Kilt up in Late October, Early November, I plan on purchasing a set of Green Flashes...

Thank you Tarheel on the suggestion of Hose Colour to wear with the Flashes. With the Tartan being Farquharson Modern, I was leaning on Black, or Dark Green or Blue Hose... I have a pair of White Kilt Hose and a pair of Black Socks that are quite similar to Kilt Hose that come up over the Knee, then can be folded down over the Garter and look like Kilt Hose. The Black Socks are even Ribbed, and need to be set right on the Leg so they look in line. I think a Set of Dark Green Flashes would look sharp on the Black Hose/Socks.. And the Farquharson Tartan..

Bill

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Famous Willie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I DO always wear flashes with my kilt hose (usually the tied variety), however I don't care too much for tartan flashes either. If they come free with the kilt (as is often the case with many custom kilt makers), I'll take them (hey, we are notoriously frugal by nature ;) ). But I don't recall ever wearing them.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several pairs of tartan flashes too, and I never use them. I typically tie garters, in colours that I hope are sympathetic with my hose. I have lots of choice for both hose and garter ties.

If I am wearing a special outfit, then I usually don't go beyond red or crimson; and for really special, I might tie my red garters around the outside of the turndown. I wouldn't contemplate tartan flashes (but then, to be even-handed, I wouldn't contemplate a fly plaid either).
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grizzled Ian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled Ian View Post
    I have several pairs of tartan flashes too, and I never use them. I typically tie garters, in colours that I hope are sympathetic with my hose. I have lots of choice for both hose and garter ties.

If I am wearing a special outfit, then I usually don't go beyond red or crimson; and for really special, I might tie my red garters around the outside of the turndown. I wouldn't contemplate tartan flashes (but then, to be even-handed, I wouldn't contemplate a fly plaid either).
    This is something I'd like to do, is tie my own garters, what would you suggest I use for fabric?. I've already been online and saw a couple of youtube videos on tying one's own garters...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Willie View Post
    This is something I'd like to do, is tie my own garters, what would you suggest I use for fabric?. I've already been online and saw a couple of youtube videos on tying one's own garters...
    Best thing to do is buy traditional wool garter ties that are already pre-made for that purpose. But if you don't want to spend that much on them, you can sort of fake it by going to the fabric store and looking for twill tape. It will usually be on a spool, somewhere on a shelf with ribbons and decorative trim items. If you can find 1" wide twill tape, then cut it around 36" length, fringe the ends and keep it from unraveling, it can work.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast