X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US Military Tartan and appropriate footwear.

I will be attending a Scottish Game soon, and I have just purchased a Sport Kilt with the US Coast Guard Tartan. I served in the Coast Guard and am a very proud veteran. I will be wearing a polo with Coast Guard logo over left breast, embroidered, with the Sport kilt, cream hose, and a Robert Mackie Balmoral Navy blue with navy blue and white dice. I want to make sure I am very respectful to not just the US Coast Guard, but to the way I appear wearing this dress. Of course I have the correct hat device, USCG Leather Sporran, USCG Kilt Pin. If I get my Light Blue shirt before the event I will wear that instead of the polo.

So what I hear is this, wearing boots of any kind is not proper when wearing a kilt. OK I can buy that, but what options are open besides wearing Scottish type shoes? What would be considered proper footwear, for the event, the dress, and USCG?

I really prefer not to wear jump boots or boots as we did not wear them in the USCG, we wore the navy style black oxford shoe. What other options are available?
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 13th September 17 at 08:52 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your sporran black? If so, I would suggest your black oxfords would go well. Alternatively, wing tips look good. Also, boots may not be traditional, but there are plenty of boot styles which do look good with a kilt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have all my leather in black. Guess I could wear my black navy oxfords...
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Yes, I have all my leather in black. Guess I could wear my black navy oxfords...
    That would be good, there's no real difference between issued oxfords and shop bought shoes. By the sound of it you have thought carefully about what you are wearing so boots, unless they are intentionally smart would be a little bit too casual.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep in the back of your mind that the kilt is not part of the US military tradition. It is not part of any US military uniform except those in a pipe band. Only the Coast Guard Tartan is officially recognized a Tartan, but only for the band.

You are a civilian in civilian clothing paying homage to your military service. Don't go so far as to make it look like you are wearing a military uniform. You have the Coast Guard Tartan. There is really no reason to that you must, or should need, anything else. After a while you get close to the 'matchy-matchy' look where someone has their clan crest on every accessory. Sometimes you just want to ask if they are afraid of forgetting who they are.

The kiss principal will always keep you in good stead. Keep It Simple Stupid. You want the emphasis to be on the person, not on the outfit.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Just keep in the back of your mind that the kilt is not part of the US military tradition. It is not part of any US military uniform except those in a pipe band. Only the Coast Guard Tartan is officially recognized a Tartan, but only for the band.

You are a civilian in civilian clothing paying homage to your military service. Don't go so far as to make it look like you are wearing a military uniform. You have the Coast Guard Tartan. There is really no reason to that you must, or should need, anything else. After a while you get close to the 'matchy-matchy' look where someone has their clan crest on every accessory. Sometimes you just want to ask if they are afraid of forgetting who they are.

The kiss principal will always keep you in good stead. Keep It Simple Stupid. You want the emphasis to be on the person, not on the outfit.
    Sir,

I fully understand the meaning, and please understand I am not just a civilian, but considered to be a combat veteran of that branch of the service. To make sure I am respectful of the etiquette of the US Coast Guard, and abide by it's regulations on this matter, I have contacted the US Coast Guard Commadant's Office for the official regulations specifically for this occasion.

Here is what they sent me:

Mr. MacDonald,

First thank you for your years of service in the US Coast Guard, especially your combat service in Viet Nam, and your continual service at the Department of Homeland Security as a U.S. Customs Officer.

The Office of Public Affairs has provided the following official guidance from the Commandant's Office, with regard to your inquiry on an Honerably Discharge U.S. Coast Guard Combat Veteran, and according to United States Military Uniform Regulations with regard to the wearing of uniform items with a Kilt as a wartime veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Per the provisions of Title 10, Sections 771, only prohibit the wearing of the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps, or any of a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of such uniforms, by any person who is not a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps. Although it prohibits the wearing of the uniform or articles of uniform by civilians, it says nothing about the wearing of civilian clothing with the uniform. That misconception arose during the 1960's and 1970's when that law was used to prohibit the wearing of uniform items by civilians who often combined wearing articles of uniform with civilian clothes. Second, a kilt, when worn as a prescribed part of a uniform, is not "civilian clothing." After all, an "article of uniform" is nothing more than an article of clothing of particular pattern, color or appearance which is prescribed to be worn as part of the official or distinctive clothes or outfit of a particular group, such as police, firefighters or members of a military organization, to identify them as members of that group or organization. Kilts, of a specified tartan, have been worn as part of the uniform by members of the Armed Forces of Great Britain, Scotland, Ireland, Canada and other nations for hundreds of years. Kilts have also been regularly worn as part of U.S. military uniforms since the earliest days of the Republic. When prescribed as part of the uniform of a military organization, a kilt is no more an article of "civilian clothing" than a white dress shirt, tuxedo shirt, neck tie, pair of trousers or similar item which, when so prescribed and worn, become part of the uniform.

To be more specific, a retired and honorably discharged wartime veteran of the Coast Guard wearing of the Coast Guard uniform. Although the Coast Guard uniform is entitled to the same protection under Title 10 as the uniforms of the Army, Navy or Marine Corps (14 U.S.C. § 484), any member who has served honorably in the Coast Guard during time of war shall, when not on active service, whether or not on the retired list, be entitled to bear the official title and, upon occasions of ceremony or event, to wear the uniform of the highest rank or rating held and, any member on the retired list shall be entitled to wear the uniform of his rank or rating. (14 U.S.C. § 483) While not all veterans are "wartime" veterans, the concept of service during time of war is broadly defined and includes periods of declared national emergency. It is not necessary to have served in combat to qualify as a wartime veteran. Coast Guard Uniform Regulations (COMDTINST 1020.6 series)

It is the opinion of this office and the Commandant, you are authorized, as a Combat Veteran to these privileges providing it is done in a respectful manner honoring the traditions and the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard.

(signed by the Captain of Public Affairs)

Currently I am a Colonel with U.S.Customs and by no means will I not follow the regulations of the U.S. Coast Guard.

In all due respect, with your comment on the Kilt not being part of the U.S. Military Uniform, the Coast Guard sent me this information too...

"There is plenty of precedent. In addition to historic records of pipers wearing kilts with U.S. military uniforms going back to the American Revolution and U.S. Civil War, the modern era has seen official recognition of U.S. Army pipe bands wearing uniform kilts with U.S. military uniforms organized by the 2nd infantry Division, the 5th Infantry Division, the 8th Infantry Division, the 31st infantry Division, the 42nd Infantry Division, and the Sixth Army. The U.S. Army currently recognizes the right of members of the pipe bands of 191st Army Band, U.S. Army Reserve; 59th Army Band, California National Guard; and Oregon National Guard Reserve to wear kilts of a prescribed pattern with their Army uniforms.

The U.S. Air Force Pipe Band wore their uniform kilts with articles of U.S. Air Force uniform at the White House and when performing through out the 1960's as does the U.S. Air Force Reserve Pipe Band today.

Moreover, the official uniform regulations of all the Armed Forces recognize uniforms worn by members of bands as a "special uniform situation." For example, the red jackets worn by members of the Marine Corps Band have no parallel in the uniforms worn by other members of the Marine Corps and, therefore, would be "civilian clothes" if not prescribed as part of their uniform by the uniform regulations. Members of the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy Bands as well as members of the U.S. Coast Guard Band are also authorized to wear articles of uniform and insignia that differ significantly from those prescribed in their respective uniform regulations for other members of their service."

I hope this lays to rest any misgiving or misinformation about this subject, as the best information you can get is from the source. I have also been in touch with the Coast Guard Pipe Band, and one day hope to become part of the Honor Guard. Also, please note, I will be wearing a polo shirt with the USCG emblem, totally civilian, or if I wear a shirt it will be a button down light blue, not a uniform shirt, no ribbons, medals, or unit designations. My entire inquiry was to make sure I wear the proper shoes not to be disrespectful to the Coast Guard. For some reason, wearing DOC Martins or Jump Boots does not seem to be what I am looking for with being a USCG veteran. It has never been my intent to mimic or recreate a military uniform of the USCG, again the point is as a Combat Veteran of the Coast Guard, I am proud of my service to my country, and feel strongly the Coast Guard needs to be represented along with the other Branches of the US Military, how often do you see Coast Guard at events, never.

Thank you for your concern, I will do the right thing.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 13th September 17 at 11:27 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant no disrespect sir, I too am a Viet-Nam combat vet. However I served in the USMC.

My point was that the kilt is a part of the band uniform. It would not be part of any other USCG uniform.

I was also trying to make the point that the thinking that you "should" or "must" wear kilt accessories in some proscribed manner is not the truth. Yes, if you are a member of the band, you will have a uniform that is worn in a proscribed manner. All the members would be 'uniform'.

How a man carries himself, the pride he has in how he wears his clothing, counts for far more than the items of clothing themselves. I am sure you have seen guys in very expensive suits that look like slobs.

Just as there is no proscribed set of accessories, outside of the Pipe Band Uniform, there is little chance that someone will say or think that you are not respecting the kilt, or the USCG, if you wear it with pride.

Many guys, when they put a kilt on, somehow think that the kilt requires something different than those accessories that would be worn with trousers.
    I would ask you, that if you were to attend the same Highland Games wearing trousers, would you wear the same array of accessories that you describe as your Kilt Outfit? Do you normally wear

...a polo with Coast Guard logo over left breast, embroidered, with the Sport kilt, cream hose, and a Robert Mackie Balmoral Navy blue with navy blue and white dice. I want to make sure I am very respectful to not just the US Coast Guard, but to the way I appear wearing this dress. Of course I have the correct hat device, USCG Leather Sporran, USCG Kilt Pin. If I get my Light Blue shirt before the event I will wear that instead of the polo...
    If so, then you should wear the same with the kilt. If not, then there is no requirement or expectation that you wear them just because you put a kilt on.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 13th September 17 at 03:41 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear the Coast Guard tartan in your kilt. Wear whatever color kilt hose you like and black leather oxford shoes. Wear a plain sporran. Wear the same type of shirt that you would wear to the event without a kilt. Consider leaving the Balmoral at home. These things tend to be too overdone.

For some reason the Vinn diagram between men who attend highland games in kilts and men who over-accessorize based on their military service is almost a complete overlap.

Fight the urge.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank everybody for there input, and I will not be over doing anything. I believe that when a kilt is worn, certain accessories, i.e. the sporran, a proper shirt (in this case a polo or button down shirt) and a cover, I prefer the Balmoral, as its a long tradition in Coast Guard for flat caps, with proper hose and shoes are necessary. All the other knives, pouches, medals, dirks, flashes, Sword vests, moccasins, etc. not necessary, and to me gaudy, look more like you are going to a Renaissance Fair.

All I wanted to know was alternative to hiking shoes, Scottish shoes, and combat or jump boots, of which I am not comfortable wearing, so I will stay with my plain old Rockport Black tie up oxfords. I will polish them though. One question, would wearing cream color hose be out of line or would navy blue hose be better, again I hear two stories about cream color hose, and it seems to be more acceptable in the US and Canada than Scotland. While we are on that, would flashes be appropriate to wear with hose?

One thing I do appreciate from each of you, is the input, view and opinions of people who have been sporting the kilt longer than I have. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to advise me the proper and "classy" way to represent our Scottish Heritage and as a veteran of the US Coast Guard.....Regards all...
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 14th September 17 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is an issue with cream color hose. Rather, most of the complaints I see are for white hose. You haven't said what color your polo is (or I missed it), but I would try to match the shirt with the hose. They don't have to be the same color, just be able to work together. I assume (I'm color blind) that the Coast Guard tartan has Navy Blue as a dominant color? If so, I would not wear navy blue hose with it. I would either wear hose that work with one of the smaller stripes, whatever those colors are, or I would wear something that wasn't in the tartan at all, again provided it works with the shirt.

Others prefer to match hose and kilt, which is fine for them.

Edited to add: Flashes would certainly be appropriate to wear, but are not a requirement. It is up to you. I personally wear them every time, but others never do.
    Last edited by Wareyin; 14th September 17 at 07:37 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast