X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Hose Stretching Out

I have several pairs of kilt hose of which I am quite fond. I fear they may not love me back, however. After a couple of wearings and washings (hand washed), my hose seem to have stretched, and they sag around my ankles. The elastic at the tops seems to have given up the ghost as well, and if I don't wear flashes my hose will now fall down around my ankles.

What have I done wrong? Did I simply order the wrong size to start with? Did I wait too long to wash them after wearing them the first time or two? Can I fix the issue, and if not what can I do to avoid it with future pairs of hose?

All advice very welcome!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of hose are these? Are they real wool, or a wool blend? You mentioned elastic at the top; I'm not sure I've come across any kilt hose that actually have a stretchy top.

If they are real wool, you might be able to shrink them back down with warm water. For obvious reasons, this can be disastrous if you use water that's too hot, or if you agitate the wool too much and start to felt it.

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are wool and you hung them up on clothes pegs instead of drying them flat they will stretch due to the weight of water. My new kilt socks were a bit big, so after trying a hot water wash, which worked a little bit I tumble dried them, yep that shrunk them and tightened up the weave which means they now fit better than they did originally.

I am sure someone will be along to shriek in horror about tumble drying, but if they are way too big then you have little to lose.

You could try the military method used to shrink berets which is a bucket of hot water and a bucket of cold water, you douse them in hot then cold and dry them flat, may be worth trying this before the dreaded tumble drier.

Good luck

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, all hose will end up down around you ankles. This is why we wear garters. Flashes are small colored ribbons that hang from the garters to simulate the ends of tied garters.
    You may wear elastic garters with the flashes or without. You may wear tied garters. You may put large rubber bands around your hose. But you do need something around your leg to keep the hose from bagging down around the ankles.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: