X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilt Kamp 2018

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Kamp 2018

Great News -
    I am pleased to announce that there will be at least one more Kilt making course sponsored by X Marks that we have come to call "Kilt Kamp". Think summer camp for kilts.

To give everyone ample time to plan next year's summer activities, I am announcing the dates for Kilt Kamp 2018.

Kamp will begin on the morning of Monday, the 30th of July, 2018 -
    Kamp will run for 6 days.
    Ending on the evening of Saturday, the 4rd of August, 2018.

As we have for the past 9 years, there will be two instructors and two sections taught side-by-side.
    Barb Tewksbury, author of "The Art of Kiltmaking" will teach hand stitched traditional kiltmaking.
    And I (In my alter-ego as The Wizard of BC, owner of Freedom Kilts) will teach both hand stitched and machine stitched Contemporary Kiltmaking.

Kilt Kamp 2018 will be held at Freedom Kilts, Victoria, BC, Canada.

Details like locations for lodging, course materials and requirements, etc. will be posted as we get a little closer.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 27th September 17 at 09:55 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 14 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face kilt kamp 2018

Hi Everyone.
    I'm in to come to Kilt Kamp 2018.
    It will be just another awesome time on the island and to get to make another kilt.

Hopefully I can get to visit relatives as well on this trip.

Carol-Ann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a question about kilt kamp, I've never sewn much of anything but I am interested. My question is it just 8 yard Kilts or do you learn to do a smaller yardage 4-6 yards, I'm talking about adult Kilts of course
    Regards David

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,

I guess the best way to answer is to say that it depends on what you would like to make.

Barb teaches the type of kilt described in TAoK. These are fully hand-stitched. The way that you pleat your kilt is varied. Full, 8 yard knife pleats, wide, 5 yard pleats, Kingussie and reverse Kingussie, and box pleats have all been done in Barb's half of the course.

Over on my side we will have some who will be hand-stitching their kilt and some machine stitching their kilts. Because a Contemporary kilt is a bit different, the options will also be different. If you have read my definition of what a Contemporary kilt is you may see that it is the idea that there are options available. Almost any idea that you can come up with will fit within the definition of a Contemporary Kilt.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92842

So I guess that if you wish to make a kilt and follow TAoK then you would want to sign up for Barb's half of the course.
    If you wish to explore the options given in the thread liked above, then you would want to sign up for my half of the course.

Kampers do have access to both courses and people in the past have gone to the other classroom to look around, and some have even changed courses half way through.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is good to see that there is interest in next year's kamp. However I posted this notice to give people time enough to make summer vacation plans. Victoria is in Canada so things like airfares and perhaps passports are best planned well in advance.

I will open the two courses up to registration right after the first of the year. We will take course reservations on a first come basis. I will post the registration information and publish the names in a separate thread like we have done for the previous years.

At the same time I will publish information about the local area, lodging availability and anything else I can think of at the same time.

If you have specific questions about a course syllabus, or about the materials that are required you can post your questions here or email Barb or myself personally.

steve@freedomkilts.com

btewksbu@hamilton.edu
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Kamp 2018

Count me in! Traditional Course w/Barb.

Jason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone
    Sorry I've been a stranger to the forum lately (building in the bush has overtaken any sewing unfortunately) I've just popped in -for some sanity- and seen the announcement.

So I'm going to start making plans...
    Question?
    From Melbourne Australia I would need to fly to Vancouver?
    OR
    Fly to the West Coast of the USA and take a nice train trip up to Canada?

I do like Amtrak and will train the West Coast either before or after Kilt Kamp as it's on the bucket list, however my map reading is woeful so I wanted to make sure Im on the right side of the continent?

I'll try to stop being a stranger now that I have a goal

Lady Grey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victoria is on an island (Vancouver Island) off the west coast of the North American continent. You could fly to the city of Vancouver, British Columbia (not to be confused with Vancouver, Washington State) and then catch a short (15 minute) flight from Vancouver to Victoria. There is also limited bus service (via the ferry) between the Vancouver airport and downtown Victoria.

Victoria has a smaller airport than the one in Vancouver, so no flights from places like Melbourne. We do get flights in from Seattle and from Las Vegas, in addition to the connector flights within BC.

There is a walk-on ferry from downtown Seattle into downtown Victoria. This ferry is called the Clipper, and Kampers have used it in the past (with Steve or myself picking them up at the dock.) And, since you like trains, there is a train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Hello everyone
    Sorry I've been a stranger to the forum lately (building in the bush has overtaken any sewing unfortunately) I've just popped in -for some sanity- and seen the announcement.

So I'm going to start making plans...
    Question?
    From Melbourne Australia I would need to fly to Vancouver?
    OR
    Fly to the West Coast of the USA and take a nice train trip up to Canada?

I do like Amtrak and will train the West Coast either before or after Kilt Kamp as it's on the bucket list, however my map reading is woeful so I wanted to make sure Im on the right side of the continent?

I'll try to stop being a stranger now that I have a goal

Lady Grey
    Last edited by KiltedKnome; 29th September 17 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much Kilted Knome
    Geologists son may join me for a week as he's looking at doing his Masters in North America ( Oregon State Uni or lLureation Uni) (sic) starting 2018

It's footy grand final here today so we're discussing options at the traditional Family BBQ

Knowing me and long flights - I think I may do Melb-Hawaii spend a few days resting and then Hawaii-Vancouver.

Attend Camp- Ferry to Seattle - then pick up Amtrak - maybe fly home from San Diego.

I'm Excited (Go Tigers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Kamp on the west coast

Hi Steve and Bobbi, thank you for the advance notice.

I will flag my interest now, and I hope that a few galaxies of stars align so that I can register and take my place next year.

BTW Steve, did you see an email I sent you a week ago, about the "oops, address not updated" message on my every XMTS.com screen?

All the best,
    Last edited by Grizzled Ian; 1st October 17 at 03:42 AM.
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grizzled Ian For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast