X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt vs. Piper hose

I was wondering if there was an inherent difference between "regular kilt" hose and those used by a piper?

I notice on the web-site there is a separation and I am looking for some guidance please.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some vendors sell "piper's hose" which are made to be a thicker knit in the foot portion to be more comfortable when marching. "Regular" kilt hose are not necessarily so thick. Wear what you like.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to piperdbh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those I own which were sold as piper's hose have a longer, thicker top section with kind of a "popcorn" heavily-textured knit which has more bulk when folded down than my regular hose have. The regular hose may have some sort of decorative weave going on up top, but just don't have as much bulk up there in use. You can just make out the popcorn knit tops on the left photo.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to wear piper hose before I switched to the Lewis or Rannoch hose from House of Cheviot. Here's a goofy old photo in which you can see the details of the piper hose pretty clearly:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molly & Daddy 3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	32006

Hope that helps!

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 27th September 17 at 11:31 AM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really easy to get confused by some of the names companies have used over the years.

But - In general - The difference has more to do with the top cuff treatment than anything else.

The "Wool-Rich" hose by Gaelic Themes are perhaps the most widely sold hose.

The cuff has a diamond pattern. Some fold this cuff over once and some like myself fold down and then up to give just a slightly thicker look.

The "Pipers" hose, also from Gaelic Themes are quite a bit longer and have a basket-weave treatment to the cuff.
    This long cuff is actually knit inside out and is designed to be folded multiple times to give a thick look.

The name "Lewis" and "Rannoch" are used by House of Cheviot. Both have a cabled cuff which is knit separably. The "Rannoch" have a wider calf portion. The cuff on these hose fold down one time.

Then there is the confusion when some call any hand-knit hose "Piper's". Hand-knit hose with complex cabeling and the "Popcorn" bobbles we almost always knit in an Aran color like the sweaters.

[

These are also a basket-weave top that shows the design a little better.

And these have a plain ribbing pattern that is different from the ribbing used in the leg.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 27th September 17 at 01:01 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Those I own which were sold as piper's hose have a longer, thicker top section with kind of a "popcorn" heavily-textured knit which has more bulk when folded down than my regular hose have. The regular hose may have some sort of decorative weave going on up top, but just don't have as much bulk up there in use. You can just make out the popcorn knit tops on the left photo.

Thanks for the picture. I really like the color palette you're sporting there. It's actually what I'd like to have for hose and garter, what color is that?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The knit garters came from a seller on eBay who frequently sells them there and they were listed as gold color. The hose are a bit funny. They were originally supposed to be lovat blue, but were kind of a strange shade of it which didn't look very good to me with my other stuff (greener than most lovat blues). I figured I'd dye them navy blue and get something that I would get more use out of. I followed all the directions on the dye carefully, but instead of navy, I ended up with a teal blue/green color. Not what I was expecting, but they have become my favorite hose and they go pretty nicely with all four versions of our tartan, despite the fact that none of them contain any teal yarns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=The Wizard of BC;1346608]It is really easy to get confused by some of the names companies have used over the years.

But - In general - The difference has more to do with the top cuff treatment than anything else.

Thank you Steve for the tutorial there with the pictures. I have yet to buy hose so I just don't know exactly what I am looking for but this is a big help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    The knit garters came from a seller on eBay who frequently sells them there and they were listed as gold color. The hose are a bit funny. They were originally supposed to be lovat blue, but were kind of a strange shade of it which didn't look very good to me with my other stuff (greener than most lovat blues). I figured I'd dye them navy blue and get something that I would get more use out of. I followed all the directions on the dye carefully, but instead of navy, I ended up with a teal blue/green color. Not what I was expecting, but they have become my favorite hose and they go pretty nicely with all four versions of our tartan, despite the fact that none of them contain any teal yarns.
    Wow that sounds like a lucky mistake. They look great. I appreciate knowing that the garter color is gold because I am interested in a bright yellow. I have a Gordon Modern and would love more of that bright yellow.