X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American Armigers

Assuming and registering armorial bearings in North America can be quite interesting. Presently, the United States Heraldic Registry (USHR) appears dormant (perhaps do to an existing backlog, and because it's a one man operation), The American College of Heraldry is fine, for a hefty fee, but I believe is also a one man show (please correct me if I am wrong), and naturally, the esteemed Committee on Heraldry, New England Heraldry Historic Genealogical Society.

I have excluded other groups or organizations, because they are either exclusive or did not last very long. The American Heraldry Society (AHS) is not technically a registry; however, members may have their arms placed on the site (the AHS changed their web presence a while back, but it seems inactive without a forum).

Recently a new registry has appeared. The Society of American Armigers (SAA) sort of follows a somewhat similar registration scheme like the USHR. I am not plugging the SAA, but I am interested in your thoughts on which direction heraldry in North America should proceed.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,

After pondering this subject for many years, I think personal heraldry in America is an interesting, though outdated, personal affectation. Sort of like wearing a pocket watch.

Heraldry in the US doesn't indicate achieving a particular level within society, as anyone can assume arms. In the best cases, such assumed arms are beautiful, heraldically correct works of art. In many cases, though, they are abominations.

I registered with the Armorial Register, as I figured that would be the best way to stake my claim against usurpation. If I was inclined to seek another registration I'd go with South Africa, as I think their government less likely to close up shop than the private American registries.

I think the best path, and the truly American one, is to simply use your arms: on bookplates, stationary, library paintings, etc. That's the sort of thing we look to when determining the historical existence of American arms. Arms that are not used are really just pretend, in my opinion.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 1st October 17 at 03:47 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also considered registering heraldry on some of these sites. I like how these registries are easy to search, yet as there is no restriction on heraldry in the US and these sites are ran by independent groups or individual people I do not see much need to have it registered. As my family came from Wales to the Americas before the official UK listings had many Welsh families listed it adds another layer of issues with many of these registries. Of course, my family was nonconformist and did not go to London and pay England to list the heraldry. That was something most, yet not all, of the Welsh had to do if they wanted their heraldry to be officially recognized in the UK before the 18th century.

I will have to check out the Society of American Armigers sometime. I hope they are willing to accept marshaling on historic arms without "official" documentation. Below is what would be listed for an ancestor if it was in the official lists in the UK.
    Name:  Morris00Pritchard00Lewis.PNG
Views: 258
Size:  2.2 KB

P.S.: Nice looking arms David. The arms clearly looks like a variation of the arms passed down through one of the Pope families from Scotland.
    http://www.armorial-register.com/arm...e-dl-arms.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Mark,

After pondering this subject for many years, I think personal heraldry in America is an interesting, though outdated, personal affectation. Sort of like wearing a pocket watch.

Heraldry in the US doesn't indicate achieving a particular level within society, as anyone can assume arms. In the best cases, such assumed arms are beautiful, heraldically correct works of art. In many cases, though, they are abominations.

I registered with the Armorial Register, as I figured that would be the best way to stake my claim against usurpation. If I was inclined to seek another registration I'd go with South Africa, as I think their government less likely to close up shop than the private American registries.

I think the best path, and the truly American one, is to simply use your arms: on bookplates, stationary, library paintings, etc. That's the sort of thing we look to when determining the historical existence of American arms. Arms that are not used are really just pretend, in my opinion.
    Good points, David. It's more of an addictive hobby with me, I suppose. The same could be said about wearing kilts.

I also chose to register with the Armorial Register. I remember someone mentioned recently on Facebook that the Bureau of Heraldry has a moratorium on registrations for foreigners. I am not sure why.
    Last edited by MacEanruig; 2nd October 17 at 05:35 AM.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEanruig View Post
    Good points, David. It's more of an addictive hobby with me, I suppose. The same could be said about wearing kilts.
    Yes, with me too.

I find the Vinn Diagram usually consists of: kilt wearing, genealogy, heraldry, and historical interpretation/reenacting.

Often with veteran status a major predictor...

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Yes, with me too.

I find the Vinn Diagram usually consists of: kilt wearing, genealogy, heraldry, and historical interpretation/reenacting.

Often with veteran status a major predictor...
    Three out of four in my case, and I am a veteran.
    Mark Anthony Henderson