X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George VI and Edward VIII

Hi, I have a current thread in kilt advice concerning an Edward VIII style jacket made by House of Labhran. I want to post a question in this section concerning the royal family wearing kilts. In this photo below Edward VIII and George VI are wearing similar outfits but I was wondering what they are wearing over their shoulders. Is it like a blanket or is it meant to be like a fly? It is not something that I have seen done very often and I wanted to know if anyone on here had any ideas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	king-edward-viii-middle-of-picture-and-his-brother-the-duke-of-york-HAG0J7.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	32029

Best,
    Adam

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe those are known as "laird's plaids" (pronounced 'playeds'). Essentially, they're a convenient way to carry a blanket/lap throw but they're in the same tartan as one's kilt. They could also be used in a pinch as a shawl or "poncho" if the weather turned and one did not have the appropriate outerwear (overcoat/Inverness cape, etc.) to hand.
    John

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During times when parade reviews are done out of doors, when the weather changes and a chill takes hold, a ready lap blanket is handy. At the time of the photo, cars with open tops and unheated aircraft required blankets.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    I believe those are known as "laird's plaids" (pronounced 'playeds'). Essentially, they're a convenient way to carry a blanket/lap throw but they're in the same tartan as one's kilt. They could also be used in a pinch as a shawl or "poncho" if the weather turned and one did not have the appropriate outerwear (overcoat/Inverness cape, etc.) to hand.
    Oh dear no. That's the gentrified, or Morningside/Kelvinside pronunciation of 'plad' as in lad which is the correct was to say it.

These garments are known Shoulder Plaids or Laird's Plaids and can be traced back to the Highland Revival era, possibly earlier. With a kilt, they are the top and bottom of a feileadh mor separated but still intended for the origianl use as a cloak.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Oh dear no. That's the gentrified, or Morningside/Kelvinside pronunciation of 'plad' as in lad which is the correct was to say it.
    Thanks for the correction.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.. this begs another question. Edward VIII abdicated in 1936. It appears that both kilts were above (v. mid-knee) the knee. Was this a matter of style and we have become more modest? Is it the photo and how they are walking?
    "You're a long time deid"

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SouthofDayton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Trouble is, Peter, that we're all gentrified nowadays and I think the majority of Scots do say "played" even though "plaad" is more consistent with the Gaelic.

Alan

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Peter and John, for clarifying that and everyone for your responses. I suspected that it might have had origins with the feileadh mor.

South of Dayton raises a good question about the style of the kilts pictured. Were they in fact worn slightly higher? I think that the overall look of how the royal family in the 1930s was wearing their kilts was great, certainly better than what we see offered in most shops nowadays!

Best,
    Adam

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jesuisprest For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my eye they look to be about mid knee if only slightly higher, I'm not around enough/any kilted people to know what is truly common but it is where I wear mine as I find it the best local for being able to sweep it under me as I sit as my bigish bottom otherwise pulls the kilt up as I sit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the hose they are wearing...not bad, eh?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast