X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Kilt Hose for Shorter People

I'm on the shorter side (5"5') and have short, wide feet. I've noticed that a lot of hose (and socks in general) don't really fit right; I end up with the heel wanting to be around my ankle and the top of the hose being WAY too high. I can live with my cheap hanes socks not fitting perfect, but I can't justify it on $25-30 hose. Does anyone else have the same issue and found anyone selling hose for shorter/smaller folks? I want something casual/everyday wear, so I am also open to alternatives from the traditional hose.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to umrpatti For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem, whilst it is possible to manage the leg length somewhat through folding them over a couple of times I found that deliberately washing in hot water shrank them enough to improve matters.

Just do it gradually, water hot enough to hand wash is about right, don't go to the extreme of boiling unless you want them to fit your children.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you wash them to shrink the feet, or the length in the calves? I have a few pairs from House of Cheviot which are long enough to be folded thrice, but that makes a massive cuff. If I one could shorten them by a couple of inches that would improve matters dramatically!

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suffered the same problem, needing 3 turnovers or a turnover that was just too long.

I am uk size 8 so bought 8-10 sizing as I often find the 6-8 sizing too small. I picked my black socks to experiment on as they are my "least favourite" if such a term exists. I tried shrinking with just a hot wash on the overall sock, which provided some shrinkage, but not quite enough for me, so I did it again and tumble dried, I know not recommended, but this worked and shrunk the socks enough for them to be a better fit and still have stretch left within the material.

My socks are merino wool, which I believe hate hot washing and tumble drying even less than sheeps wool, but you need to be careful and do it gradually until you find the solution that best suits your socks/leg length.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have on a few occasions, having spotted some cheap hose, removed the toe and unwound the foot back to something suitable for me, then reknitted the toe. I then get rid of the nasty thick join over the toes which would have been so uncomfortable.
    I used to make all my own socks and hose, but it takes so much time.
    Perhaps if you know someone who makes socks on small needles they could be consulted on a similar project to make a better fit?
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umrpatti View Post
    I'm on the shorter side (5"5') and have short, wide feet. I've noticed that a lot of hose (and socks in general) don't really fit right; I end up with the heel wanting to be around my ankle and the top of the hose being WAY too high. I can live with my cheap hanes socks not fitting perfect, but I can't justify it on $25-30 hose. Does anyone else have the same issue and found anyone selling hose for shorter/smaller folks? I want something casual/everyday wear, so I am also open to alternatives from the traditional hose.
    Look into boot socks, from any Western store. I was in the feed store (Tractor Supply) a few days ago and being a relatively new kilt owner/wearer, need some more appropriate hose/socks. Their store brand, C.M.Scmidt, had three different designs/yarn combinations. One, they call Steel Toe Over the Calf Boot Socks, is a really nice, thick, sweater-y feeling fabric. They had them all in S, M, and L sizes, for only about $5.00 a pair. Granted, they are white, with tan to and heel, they can be easily dyed.
    The forest was shrinking, yet the trees kept voting for the axe, because it's handle was made of wood, and they thought it was one of them.