X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three and a bit sporrans

Hi guys, I mentioned in earlier posts that I was currently making sporrans for myself and my two boys. I've still got a few details to deal with, but they're essentially done. It was a steep learning curve: metal work and leatherwork are not something I've done before. I don't have a workshop or proper tools. I love the way brass ages and I was looking for a rugged and aged look in the cantles. The two kids sporrans are rabbit skin. And mine is somewhat special in that it is two-sided: being the thrifty Scotsman I am, I thought that getting two looks out of one sporran was an interesting challenge. I did the kid's cantles first and discovered how bad my soldering was, so I decided to use home-made copper rivets (basically repurposed nails) for mine, and worked it into the decoration.

20171008_152254.jpg20171008_152404.jpg20171008_152429.jpg20171008_152458.jpg20171008_152523.jpg
    Last edited by Alisdair; 8th October 17 at 07:23 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Alisdair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you have my attention (as I have made my own sporrans) how do you plan to attach them to a belt or chains?

I like the fullness of the kid's rabbit sporrans. I also like the idea of reversible fronts on your sporran. Let us know how you decide to wear these sporrans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Now that you have my attention (as I have made my own sporrans) how do you plan to attach them to a belt or chains?

I like the fullness of the kid's rabbit sporrans. I also like the idea of reversible fronts on your sporran. Let us know how you decide to wear these sporrans.
    Here's a detail of the special hinge I created: there's basically an upward pointing loop at the end of the hinge screw. The straps clip onto this. That way, the sporran can be flipped easily with one or the other side facing forward.

So the idea is that the whole sporran can be flipped around, with each side being different.

20171008_205120.jpg
    Last edited by Alisdair; 8th October 17 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the detail on the tiny hoops to attach the chain. Very nice indeed.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post: