X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took longer than a lot of guys in getting my first kilt. The first time I got to see a gentleman kilted was when I was about 18 years old. At my college, visitors often came for special presentations, and there was one gentleman who came in the full dress kilt regalia. From the first time I saw him, I thought some day I too would have a kilt.

Sometimes, sometimes takes longer than one might plan. I did not get my kilt until I was almost 58 years old, nearly forty years later. I purchased a Celtic Nations tartan from USAKilts for two reasons. First, it was on sale. And second, I had changed jobs and one of my coworkers is of Scottish heritage and talked about wanting a kilt for himself. We began looking up sites and comparing prices and such. Not having another person to prevent me from buying dreams, I was the first to get the kilt. I loved it, and my friend was a wee bit envious. Due to having a family and other responsibilities, he was not able to purchase a kilt. Last year, with some of my tax returns, I got him a gift certificate for purchasing his own kilt. I rarely have enjoyed anything as much as I did getting him that gift. We remain great friends, and, occasionally, get to kilt up and go out for some fun.

Sorry this took longer to say than I had planned.

Tom
    "Life may have its problems, but it is the best thing they have come up with so far." Neil Simon, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Act 3. "Ob la di, Ob la da. Life goes on. Braaa. La la how the life goes on." Beatles

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedtom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in England, half English and half Irish.
    I always fancied a kilt and even asked my Mother at one point, although she didn't take me up on the suggestion.
    When I was older and employed, I took a train to Edinburgh in 1986 (age 24) and bought myself one (Modern Gordon). I still have it but it had to be remade because it became six inches too small while in the wardrobe.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to John_Carrick For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started looking into getting a kilt about the time that I picked up my first practice chanter. If you are going to play bagpipes you need at least one kilt. As it takes some time from starting on the practice chanter to the bagpipes, I did some research. I was looking for high quality and relatively inexpensive and based on reviews and price I narrowed it down to USA kilts and Freedom Kilts. I went with a semi-traditional from USA Kilts and it arrived before I was ready to order my set of bagpipes. My experience with USA Kilts has been great yet one day I might get a kilt from Freedom Kilts so I can have some hidden pockets in a kilt.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandmother Charlotte Ross was first generation American, having been born shortly after her parents emigrated from Northern Scotland. She bestowed upon me my first kilt (Ross Red) when I celebrated my 10th birthday. She told me to wear it with pride. I did and I still do, although I have long outgrown that first kilt. I still own it and I will be passing it to my son this December when he turns 10.

Steven

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to StevenG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first (and only ) kilt

I was 61 when I bought my first kilt. Always had a mild interest in my 40's and toyed with the idea. Idea became ravenous when I turned 60.
    I am still not going to label it as a mid life crises event, I believe I have had mid life crises from my twenty's. Not doing it sooner was inability
    of finding a kilt maker. A lot of my looking was before the web was mainstream. Iv'e never been one to do something on the cheep. All of us relate to buying something that was supposed to be a bargain, only to find out it costs twice as much to fix it later. Fortune was on my side in
    the person of Judith Sullivan. The result was an exquisitely crafted Kilt in the MacDonald dress muted tartan. Her workmanship is such
    that two people at the NH highland games recognized my Kilt as her work, which surprised me greatly. It is one of the biggest gifts I have ever given myself and I wear it for any occasion and times when there are no occasions at all.
    Be seeing you.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Prisoneratvillage For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I inherited my first kilt from the gentleman who helped restore my father's will to live after a dispatch rider motorcycle accident in WW II (more in my intro post). My mother had also given me his given name at birth - I was part of the therapy!

I was about 8 at the time and it was a full 8 yard Mackenzie Seaforth 22 ounce military. Took quite a few years before it fitted me. I still wear it with pride in memory of my benefactor.
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to WillowEstate For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowEstate View Post
    I inherited my first kilt from the gentleman who helped restore my father's will to live after a dispatch rider motorcycle accident in WW II (more in my intro post). My mother had also given me his given name at birth - I was part of the therapy!
    My wife was part of the therapy for her father after he lost his leg in the Malta convoy in WWII.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123