X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How and why did you get your first kilt?

I don't know if I am a common example or a very different one, but my first kilt was a matter of necessity.

My wife and I, plus our best friends were at a Celtic Festival outside of Annapolis, MD a few years ago. It was a clear, bright, and hot day in the Spring. So, I in my infinite wisdom was wearing a black polo shirt and blue jeans. By midday I was not only hot, I was sweltering. My wife suggested that I go and see if I could find a kilt I liked. So, off I went to see what was available that was cooler and not too expensive.

The tartan ones for sale were wool and started at a few hundred dollars. Well, that wouldn't solve my temperature problem, or at least I didn't think it would, so I kept looking and came across the Amerikilt booth and my life was changed. I got an olive drab (OD) cotton utility kilt, no pouches but a sporran in matching fabric and a brown leather belt to complete the outfit. From that hot day about three years ago to now my attire on weekends and vacations and occasionally at work for the Halloween party has been a kilt. I have three now; the OD Amerikilt, an acrylic from Pakistan in Ancient Lamont (my clan from my mother's side of the family), and an Irish National semi-trad from USA Kilts that just arrived and which I am wearing now.

So, mine was a matter of necessity, but it also allowed me to celebrate my Scottish ancestry. How about the rest of the rabble, what are your stories?

Larry Schwartz
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    I don't know if I am a common example or a very different one, but my first kilt was a matter of necessity.

My wife and I, plus our best friends were at a Celtic Festival outside of Annapolis, MD a few years ago. It was a clear, bright, and hot day in the Spring. So, I in my infinite wisdom was wearing a black polo shirt and blue jeans. By midday I was not only hot, I was sweltering. My wife suggested that I go and see if I could find a kilt I liked. So, off I went to see what was available that was cooler and not too expensive.

The tartan ones for sale were wool and started at a few hundred dollars. Well, that wouldn't solve my temperature problem, or at least I didn't think it would, so I kept looking and came across the Amerikilt booth and my life was changed. I got an olive drab (OD) cotton utility kilt, no pouches but a sporran in matching fabric and a brown leather belt to complete the outfit. From that hot day about three years ago to now my attire on weekends and vacations and occasionally at work for the Halloween party has been a kilt. I have three now; the OD Amerikilt, an acrylic from Pakistan in Ancient Lamont (my clan from my mother's side of the family), and an Irish National semi-trad from USA Kilts that just arrived and which I am wearing now.

So, mine was a matter of necessity, but it also allowed me to celebrate my Scottish ancestry. How about the rest of the rabble, what are your stories?

Larry Schwartz
    I had rented in the past but decided that I would buy my kilt when the first of my mums grandchildren got married. I did not expect it to be my son; he wanted to get married in the kilt so I purchased his as a personal gift from me and I purchased my kilt at the same time.
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted a utility kilt to work in....choked on the price..and with the simplicity of a box pleated kilt, I figured I could.just make the bloody things...a dozen or so for the price of new...I actually.landed here at Xmarks...and the X kilt instructions...then bought BarbT's book....melded some techniques...have made a few...the early ones were horrific...but I am getting better.
    I just.made the first shirt I ever turned out...first garment I have made from a pattern too...it is not completely embarrassing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was a gift from my parents when I was about four years old.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have mine, 73 years later. It was eventually worn by my brother (6 years younger that I), my 'son', my nephew, a second cousin, and now awaits another in the line . I had a second for a couple of years, but that was destroyed by moths years and years ago. My next kilt I wore at school. That one was passed on, through the school, to a very deserving lad whose parents needed a school uniform but didn't have the gilt. I'm sure it has been passed on, too.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a kilt so I could compete in a Highland Games competition.
    I bought a Sporkilt, which served my purpose.
    I went on from there...🙂
    KD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was purchased when I started piping around the age of 10yrs or so. That was MANY moons ago. ;)
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some five years ago, Scotland came to Belgium for a soccer game. The day before I was in Bruges. I was watching two couples coming out of a restaurant. The gentlemen were beautifully dressed and wore a kilt.
    I was like hypnotised. Coming home I said this to my wife and couldn’t hide my enthusiasm (and jalousie…me not having any link with Scotland!).
    My wife at an ‘uncontrolled moment’ said: well if this is what you want go and try it.
    And the miracle happened. Today I own 9 kilts and have a wardrobe full of highland garments. Talking about an addiction (a healthy one!)
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to hector For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it was 1974 when Mom took may brother and me to Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. We met some Rev War reenactors (NC Highlanders) and the rest is history. I started with a great kilt and now I make my own. I currently have three one canvas cargo kilt, one contemporary hybrid kilt and a traditional box pleat kilt that I made at Kilt Kamp this summer. I have given most of the old ones away at some time but I have one old kilt that has been retired until I have grandchildren and will use the fabric from it to make wee kilts.

I am currently planning a kilted skirt for the wife and several mono-colored box pleated wool kilts and at least three more canvas kilts for me. My goal is to mostly convert over from trousers to kilts.

Stoff

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I started taking piping lessons. I figured I would eventually get a kilt of some kind, either from the band or on my own (maybe Black Watch or something else I liked). Went up to the KY Scottish Weekend to hear the pipe band play and found out there is a Clan Scott (who knew!?!). Started investigating the costs, my family line, etc. and decided to get one of my own. One year later, ordered my Scott Red - the tartan in my avatar - kilt (since sold due to weight loss – mine, not the kilt). Don’t have the funds to get a new one yet. It’ll probably be a while, as the budget’s very tight and there’s a growing list of repairs/replacements before any luxury items like a kilt can be purchased.
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast