X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to get a new kilt

I'll start by saying I've never held a 100% wool kilt, so I have no idea as to which yardage i should go with. The tartan I am looking at is the Phillips from the Wales Tartan Center and comes in 14 oz. I live in the southern US and want to know how hot a 8 yard vs 5 would be. I know the 8 yard has a better swing, but is the extra money truly worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live at about the same latitude but a bit west - in Texas - the temps are similar, but less humidity. In my opinion, 14 oz fabric would be fine, more comfortable and usable all year. The main difference in the 5 vs 8 yd kilts will be in the cost. I have both and probably use the 5yd kilt more often.
    Last edited by cck; 10th October 17 at 03:11 PM. Reason: additional information

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I feel I should point out: searching through this forum has left me with the impression that, construction-wise, the quality of the WTC's kilts can be iffy. However, I know from experience that the fabric itself is is quite nice, having made a kilted skirt in the Evans tartan:

A quick bit of research reveals that, when you factor in the shipping, a 5-yard kilt from USA Kilts in the Phillips tartan will only be a few dollars more than one from the WTC, and you'll get the traditional 3-strap configuration versus only 2 straps on WTC's 5-yarder. And not only have I been to USAK's shop and seen their kilts in person, but the feedback they've gotten on this forum makes it pretty clear that you'll be getting a quality garment.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

LKM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would HIGHLY recommend ordering your Philips tartan kilt from USA kilts. You will be 100% satisfied at the workmanship and fit, guaranteed.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do plan to order from USAK, meant to say the Phillips of Wales Tartan. Just dont know if I should save more for the 8 yard or go with the 5. Dont want to regret the decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two 5-yard from USA kilts and an very happy. I would save the 8-yard for your very best kilts.It depends on how you are going to use this kilt.A 5-yard will serve you well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For regular wear I rather like my 4yd box and 5yd knife kilts; partially I'm cheap but I just don't understand the adding of all the extra yards just to have the back sway. The only 8yd I have always feels like it sags in the back while all my others feel like that sit evenly but they also have a more even weight distribution. I've never regretted my 5 yard kilt, I'm having one made now and am eagerly awaiting the call that says it will be done.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit further north of you but share the same heat and humidity (as do other members in the deep South). I love my 8 yard (knife pleated) for cooler times of the year. I wear my 5 yard box pleat kilt more often for the lighter weight and less heat collected around my waist.

I am a more than average active person with a high metabolism. My body heat output is unusual so I plan my attire for the elements. This might be a consideration for you to ponder.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two Welsh Tartan Kilts, both from the WTC. I highly recommend the 8 yard over the 5, mostly due to the light weight of the fabric. I don’t find the 8 much hotter to wear, just more substantial, better swing, and more protective in the wind. I do understand there is a decent price difference - if I could trade in my 5 yard Roberts towards an 8 yard Roberts, I would do so in a heartbeat and gladly pay the difference.

I really liked the guys at the WTC. That said, I’ve seen Rocky’s work and would recommend paying the extra for his work. This is doubly true if you go with the 5 yarder, as the WTC does not put a stabilizer in.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

...owning both, I am probably a good option to bounce questions off of.

Rob

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post: