X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems, Orvis. BTW I have also been to the Maryland RennFair, and I prefer Pennsylvania for several reasons.
    1. The weapons policy I spoke of. BTW there is an excellent forge on the grounds at PArennfair.
    2. The cast are more interactive. E.g., when I was there with a gaggle of grandkids, dressed as princesses, princes and pirates, every time a cast member would walk by us, they would bow deeply to the kids, with great sweeping gestures and "Your majesties!" The kids ate it up.
    3. Paved walkways
    4. Running water and flush toilets.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
    I have carried one at Highland Games in North America since 1983. No one has ever been cut by my dirks, except me (by accident, of course), and they have been a source of interest to others. I do not understand your comment re: "shallow" Jock. Mine was made by Vince Evans and is a custom made, quite expensive, and very attractive knife. Anyway, I would not expect to carry one in Scotland, given the laws and concerns in Great Britain about edged weapons of all kinds.
    I interpreted jock's comment to be a reference to fake knives. I could see how a fake dirk or sgian dubh (like a safety sgian) could be viewed as costume and therefore "shallow." Again, I don't think he was referring to you're post though I cannot speak for him.

In regards to the OP; personally, I would never carry a knife that was not functional. If real knives were banned at a venue or could otherwise cause issues with law enforcement, I would just go without. And if they were permitted and I really desired to carry one, I would just get a nice one and wear it.

In either circumstance, I simply don't see the value of a fake dirk beyond costume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should have read the OP more carefully. I do not own or wear a dirk but if I did, I would only want one that was functional.

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's OK...I am familiar with those other two guys as well. Glen McClain's work is possibly the best I have seen and very authentic. I have been fortunate enough to meet and spend time with Vince and Grace, two really fine people. Addressing Orvis here.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewood View Post
    For those that wear a dirk as part of your highland apparel, do you have a functional dirk with a sharpened edge or a mild steel display dirk that does not have an edge?
    Honestly I don't know.

I have a British military-issued dirk made in the 1980s. I don't know how to tell if it's a "mild steel display dirk".

Here's a thread I did comparing it, a British-made MOD issue dirk, to an Indian-made copy:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ia-copy-93838/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th April 18 at 07:21 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your MOD dirk is not a mild steel display dirk, the British Army only issued dirks that are substantial and can hold up to daily usage, not wall hangers. The pommels for some reason get a lot of abuse and the caps do come off on occasion, franken dirks are put together so parts are not all original.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I strongly suspect that in pretty much every situation a blunt metal dirk will be treated EXACTLY like a sharp metal dirk.

So why bother with one without an edge?

Cheers

Jamie
    This sort of question arises periodically. I think Jamie has hit upon the definitive answer.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dirk made by the American knife company Cold Steel. I love it, it's sharp out of the box and looks the part. it retails for about $125USD, and has been rigorously tested. I use it all the time, from piping gigs to camping trips. My advice is; get one.
    "The Scots have a transportable culture, you don't stop bein a Scot just because you live in America or Australia or anywhere else."

Colin G. Calloway

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should mention, Cold Steel is an American company but their blades are made in china, I believe.
    "The Scots have a transportable culture, you don't stop bein a Scot just because you live in America or Australia or anywhere else."

Colin G. Calloway

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I ever cut with a dirk is my wedding cake.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast