X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamelCody View Post
    I have a dirk made by the American knife company Cold Steel. I love it, it's sharp out of the box and looks the part. it retails for about $125USD, and has been rigorously tested. I use it all the time, from piping gigs to camping trips. My advice is; get one.
    The Dirks are made in India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question and for me the answer is to err on the side of caution, although perhaps my caution is unwarranted.

A while ago I was walking abroad in Edinburgh with what for all purposes might have been taken for a dirk, but I had removed the blade beforehand and replaced it with a plastic replica to be on the safe side, though what you would have seen as a spectator was the sheath with it's acoutrements.

I suppose if you analyse the situation, the fact that I was not questioned or approached for carrying what looked like it was the real thing tells me I was worrying about too much. For my personal comfort though I preferred not to provoke the law, just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewood View Post
    For those that wear a dirk as part of your highland apparel.
    Do you have a functional dirk with a sharpened edge or a mild steel display dirk that does not have an edge.
    I am looking to make myself one for the local renfest coming up but I don’t have any 1095 blade steel and the forge is broken so I could not temper it if I did have one. I do have a nice piece of mild steel I could use...

I am thinking of making one now and make. Real one later.
    I guess I answered my own question.
    But what do you have?
    Cold Steel has a functional one.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    Cold Steel has a functional one.
    The blade of my dirk was made in Sheffield, made to order, I had to wait for it. I got it from Jack Adams who is now alas deceased but I think the tradition continues, the blade of my sgain dhu came from the same factory. I made the handles and the sheaths for both myself. I like the work of real craftsmen, Jack Adams was one of the last of them. I would not want a cold steel blade if you paid me to advertise one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
    The blade of my dirk was made in Sheffield, made to order, I had to wait for it. I got it from Jack Adams who is now alas deceased but I think the tradition continues, the blade of my sgain dhu came from the same factory. I made the handles and the sheaths for both myself. I like the work of real craftsmen, Jack Adams was one of the last of them. I would not want a cold steel blade if you paid me to advertise one.
    Depends on ones budget. I’m not interested in dirks anyway and to me again dubhs would be a blade of my own choice and what I can afford. The questions I would have are does it work for me ergonomically, how well does it hold an edge and hold up. For me at least, it’s a tool. If I need a dilemma, it would be, should I carry the Hi Power or Commander?
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 dirks, a dress one and a more rustic one. The dress one has been used twice to cut wedding cakes. The rustic one as an accessory with my great kilt at a ren fair and at Halloween.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a dirk many years ago for some event that seemed to call for one. My funds at the time were limited, so I selected the Bold Blades "Dirk for Dress or Daywear" (http://boldblades.com/html/dirks.html), which combines a very affordable price with a nice, dressy appearance. I do not recall ever having tried to cut with it, so I am unsure how sharp the blade is. Since I did not want to deal with airline security issues, I did not bring my dirk when I relocated to China. So the dirk is in storage in Florida and I cannot check it for sharpness at the moment.

My sgian dubh was a budget model I got with a "kilt package" deal. The blade is very sharp and I have used the knife as a general utility model around the house, opening packages and other such daily chores. It is also in storage.

As a teacher, I wear kilts at school occasions regularly. Given school policies about weapons and my own concerns about student safety, I don't wear any blade with my kilt to school. I do talk a little bit of traditional Scottish weapons in class when we are discussing Robert Burns, but I use images rather than bringing in my own weapons.

I agree with Jock that it is desirable to wear antique or heirloom weaponry with your kilt. However, this is not always so possible, especially for the man on a budget. Even if your Granddad was a dedicated kilt-lover, it is quite possible that he ended up having more grandsons than antique dirks. So some of us will be forced to purchase a new dirk, if we want a dirk in the first place.

I hope this some help to you.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 18th December 17 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have search high and low for the dirk and sgian dubh to fit my needs. First it must be of the Jacobite 1745 era, as when I do wear them it is with a Jacobite impression and something that I could wear with my modern Scottish attire. Second, affordable; this means for me; I want value, unique, with quality craftsmanship, not one of a thousand the same. So that being said, I will pay a little more to get a better product within reason. Third, I prefer to support the small business man, not get an import, or go to ebay. After looking many places, and buying the cheaper Dirks, the Piper Dirks, and others, I was directed, (by a fellow person on this site) to check out Scotia Metalworks, Mike McRae, and I did. Not only did a buy two dirks and two sgian dubhs, I discovered a person that I can call my friend. Both Mike and I served (different branches) in Viet Nam, and became good friends. I am very happy with his products, and receive many compliments on them. I did not pay through the nose, I did pay more then what you would spend on ebay, but I know who forged the blade, and carved the artwork on the handles, and put it together. Mikes work in my book, is great, and I would encourage you to look at what he has to offer, if you do not see it on his website, call him, Scotia Metalworks, in North Carolina. Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 28th December 17 at 12:46 PM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123