X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bidding has started on this lot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26558650101...ndition=4%7C10

I wish they had been listed separately, due to two of the three having seal.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beautiful vintage seal Evening sporran with quite low price.

It has the "D" cantle, one of three different cantles which were made in two distinct qualities

1) high-definition casting, the boss or diamond separate pieces, silver plated, stamped MADE IN SCOTLAND in tiny letters on one side.

2) all cast in one piece, chrome plated, no stamp.

This appears to be the higher-quality type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26558908847...temCondition=4
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This lot came up today for $150 from a US seller and I hit the buy-it-now.

I won't know exactly what I have until they arrive, but they appear to be Scottish-made sporrans in near-new condition.

I'm most interested to see the sporran top left, which appears to have a high-quality Dalman & Narborough cantle, which might be silverplate or even Sterling.

Also interesting is bottom right, a seldom-seen brass-mounted Evening sporran.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple child's sporrans on Ebay now being listed as military sporrans.

I've messaged both sellers, let's hope they correct their listings so that somebody doesn't buy them thinking that they're adult-size sporrans, much less regimental sporrans. EDIT: one has already corrected their listing, good for them!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13406177157...ndition=4%7C10

Here are a couple lovely vintage sporrans which need some work. One needs the tassels re-attached, the other needs the belt loop on the back to be re-fastened. A bargain for somebody who is handy. A shoe repair shop could re-stitch the loop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11530840990...ndition=4%7C10
    Last edited by OC Richard; 24th March 22 at 04:11 AM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sporrans arrived!

There were things I couldn't know until I saw them in person.

It's an interesting lot. All of the sporrans are new. All except the black one had cord wrapped through the D-rings in back. Evidently they were hung as part of a display.

None are stamped on the back, but some are stamped on the side of the cantle, and some have stickers on the back.

All but the black one and the "semi-dress" one have identical backs and are obviously by the same maker.

One has a sticker that says

The Woollen Mill
    EW3/K Grey
    ILLUSTRATION 4

(pound sign) 129

Here's what they are:

1) Upper left: Chrome cantle, no markings.

2) Upper centre: Antique finish high-quality cantle (possibly by Dalman & Narborough) stamped Made In Scotland. Sticker on the back says Made In Scotland (from a certain creature).
    I had hoped that the cantle would be D&N hand-chased repousse, but alas it's a cast version of the same D&N pattern.

3) Upper right: solid brass cantle stamped Made In Scotland. Same sticker as #2 and also the Woollen Mill sticker referenced above. The chains to the tassels appear to be alloy of some kind, and the bells are some kind of gilt finish, so as not to discolour the fur. In my experience it's quite rare for these traditional Evening sporrans to have brass tops.

4) Lower left: Pakistani. There's some glue residue on the back, looks like it was glued to something for hanging/display (it's the only one that didn't have cord wrapped through the D-rings).

5) Lower centre: an unmarked but apparently Scottish made "semi-dress" sporran, fur of a certain creature.

6) Lower right: nickel-plated cantle stamped Made In Scotland, fluffy white rabbit fur.

Last edited by OC Richard; 25th March 22 at 04:33 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting lot, a brown leather Day sporran of a design and bearing a "Pure Leather" stamp I've not seen, a seal Eve sporran, a Mackie bonnet, a long-link sporran chain, flashes, and a "Scottish Passport" all for very little money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16539979262...ndition=4%7C10

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take a change on that lot, but alas...

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    a seal Eve sporran
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beautiful new-looking sporran by L&M Highland in Nova Scotia.

Opening bid set at $30, no bidders.

Looks like fox fur to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTTISH-FU...p2056016.l4276

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack your thread, but just to get your attention, any idea about the approximate age or maker of this one? (Given your extensive knowledge of sporrans, I thought you might be able to advise...)

I picked it up inexpensively on eBay and am curious if there are any tell tale signs.

Peter & OC Richard:

Thanks for the responses!

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 15th April 22 at 06:20 AM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Not to hijack your thread, but just to get your attention, any idea about the approximate age or maker of this one? (Given your extensive knowledge of sporrans, I thought you might be able to advise...)

I picked it up inexpensively on eBay and am curious if there are any tell tale signs.
    Shaun,

You might be better posting this as a separate thread. For what it's worth, I'd say c.1900-30.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast