X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

Based on the lack of supply, you may be forced into buying a newly-made tweed jacket.

This was my experience, too. Living in China, there just aren't any kilt jacket suppliers here and shipping from elsewhere is not always so easy (or affordable). Luckily, tailors here are affordable. So I had my local tailor make her best impression of a kilt jacket, based on lots of photos. I went through all the fabric samples and picked the material closest to tweed, which is a nice brown herringbone pattern.

The results definitely look nice with my kilt and are serviceable, although I am sure there are details that will look odd to observers from Scotland or North America. For one, the gorge (the placement of the notch on the lapel) is terribly high, following current Chinese fashions. For another, the vest has pocket flaps that were supposed to be scalloped and buttoned like those on an Argyll jacket. But the tailor misunderstood the angle of the photo and made the flaps square.

I know it can't compare to a good vintage Harris Tweed, but it does the job and will always be distinctively different. And there aren't many others to compare with here in Beijing.

Whatever you do, I know it will reflect the same excellent eye that picked out this sporran.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you a ton for this thread, I have been learning a lot.

I have my brothers wedding in early August and collecting my accoutrements...looking for a sporran today. Alexis Malcolm is making me an Antarctica tartan kilt which the fabric has forced me to bargain hunt the accessories.

I am looking for a black base with white fur/hair to signify the blinding ice down south. I found the link below on ebay and received some more pictures from the seller. Do you have any thoughts? It looks to be hand sewn and the front/back appear to be sturdy leather but the edge is a slightly different color and I am not terribly keen on the padding hanging out of the end. It looks like it has gotten some use, which I like...also into a vintage look if anything comes up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28297036988...m=282970369887

I will be in UK (London and Alfriston) for a few days before heading to Germany for the wedding. Would it be easier to find something out there?

On a side note of curiosity, are the seal skin sporrans supposed to be nicer or is it worth pointing out because we aren't supposed to have it here in the states?

Last edited by randomdude; 12th June 18 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Pics didn't attach the first time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomdude View Post

I have my brothers wedding in early August and collecting my accoutrements...looking for a sporran today. Alexis Malcolm is making me an Antarctica tartan kilt which the fabric has forced me to bargain hunt the accessories.

I am looking for a black base with white fur/hair to signify the blinding ice down south. I found the link below on ebay and received some more pictures from the seller. Do you have any thoughts? It looks to be hand sewn and the front/back appear to be sturdy leather but the edge is a slightly different color and I am not terribly keen on the padding hanging out of the end. It looks like it has gotten some use, which I like...also into a vintage look if anything comes up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28297036988...m=282970369887

I will be in UK (London and Alfriston) for a few days before heading to Germany for the wedding. Would it be easier to find something out there?

On a side note of curiosity, are the seal skin sporrans supposed to be nicer or is it worth pointing out because we aren't supposed to have it here in the states?
    The listing is kind of short on details. That doesn't necessarily mean anything but it's a personal red flag to me as I assume a seller would want to list good attributes and $100 isn't exactly a steal.

Are you looking for a dress sporran or a day sporran? I think you will find plenty of white dress sporrans in the UK. An arctic fox full mask sporran would also be a cool option for your ice theme (though not antarctic, however there are not a lot of leopard seal sporrans as far as I know).

Here is a non mask, arctic fox, dress sporran for 300 pounds from Macgregor and Macduff in the UK:

Here's another cowhide dress sporran from Macgregor and Macduff for 65 pounds:

Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    The listing is kind of short on details. That doesn't necessarily mean anything but it's a personal red flag to me as I assume a seller would want to list good attributes and $100 isn't exactly a steal.

Are you looking for a dress sporran or a day sporran? I think you will find plenty of white dress sporrans in the UK. An arctic fox full mask sporran would also be a cool option for your ice theme (though not antarctic, however there are not a lot of leopard seal sporrans as far as I know).
    The seller sells stuff they got from estate sales, this is the only kilt-like item they had to sell. Also, I forgot to say that they would take $50.

I would prefer the full-formal but my brother is the one getting married so I can't out-dress him which is why I was looking at the semi-formal which is what he is wearing. I love the arctic fox but don't have that kind of cash sitting around at the moment. If I go cowhide I am going to hold out for a totally white one. Thanks for the pictures though, I will keep an eye out for more M and M.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!!

I am looking for a black base with white fur/hair... Do you have any thoughts?
    My thoughts about that sort of sporran is that, if we're talking traditional Highland Dress, it's a Day Dress sporran. The presence or absence of fur doesn't effect that.

If you were going to wear Evening Dress for the wedding, trad people like me would see that sporran as unidiomatic.

My thoughts about that particular sporran are 1) the fur looks a bit odd. Is it synthetic? I don't know my furs all that well, it might be a genuine fur. 2) I myself prefer my Day sporrans to be brown, as they all used to be.

Our English friends would know. I will say that I did some online research prior to my recent trip to London and I was surprised by the paucity of Highland outfitters there. I visited one place, near the British Museum. It was rather small.

are the seal skin sporrans supposed to be nicer or is it worth pointing out because we aren't supposed to have it here in the states?
    I only point it out because sealskin items might be seized by US Customs as they enter the USA. I realise that many things get through, not being inspected at all. But if we here in the USA bid on a sealskin sporran outwith our borders we're taking a risk.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th June 18 at 06:52 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copy, thanks for the tips...and expanding my vocabulary (not sarcasm).

I only know as much info about the sporran in question as I posted earlier.

After some reading I backed off the idea of wearing a fly because it is in bad taste to out-dress the star of the event, which is wearing a similar sporran. Will keep looking.

Wasn't trying to buy the sealskin as much as I was wondering.

Am going to keep looking if you happen to run across anything.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the sporran, it's as nice as it looked in the seller's photos!

As I said I usually see great Ebay sporrans, take a mental note, and keep going, not buying. I don't need more sporrans!

But something seemed special about this one.

Anyhow here's my current lineup (clockwise from left)

1) c1920-1940 cast solid German Silver cantle with Celtic birds & knotwork on modern goatskin body

2) 1950s Black Watch of Canada (dark brown)

3) the new plain brown leather Day style

4) black Hunting style with nickel-plated cantle, stamped Nicoll Brothers Bankfoot

5) 1950s-1960s brass MOD Culloden cantle on new body by Artificer

Everything except the Artificer body were bought used on Ebay.

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th June 18 at 03:58 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post

Here is an Arctic fox (Evening) dress sporran for 300 pounds from Macgregor and Macduff in the UK:

Here's another cowhide (Evening) dress sporran from Macgregor and Macduff for 65 pounds:

I'll just point out that both of those cantle styles have been around since around the 1950s.

In the old days both styles were high quality detailed castings and usually silver-plated.

The upper sporran, with the large dome cantle, was designated EW6/G in the old price-lists.

The lower sporran, with diamond-shaped thistle button motif cantle, was designated EW6/D in the old price-lists.

Anyhow those are both high-quality Evening Dress sporrans offered by a great Highland Outfitter.

Now here's a strange thing on Ebay. It's a sealskin Evening Dress sporran in a standard pattern that's been around since the 1950s if not longer, but it has an aftermarket addition: the central boss on the cantle has been removed (on these cantles the three bosses are separate pieces) and replaced by a brass monogram thing. I do wonder what WSM stands for- a pipe band??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scottish-Ge...p2056016.l4276
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th June 18 at 04:36 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if L&M Highland Outfitters in Nova Scotia (Canada) has come up on this thread.

When one speaks of the classic established Scottish makers, who made/make the traditional canon of sporran designs, one must speak of L&M in the same breath.

Their sporrans have the same quality as the best Scottish makers.

Here's an L&M sporran which just came up. Obviously it doesn't have the "Made in Scotland Real Leather" oval gold stamp that the quality Scottish sporrans so often do; L&M have their own distinctive stamp.

This is the modern standard Pipe Band sporran, a Hunting sporran done in black (rather than the traditional brown) with a chrome Evening cantle stuck on the top.

BTW L&M makes a number of unique and lovely versions of the Hunting sporran using various coloured leathers.

To pipers, L&M is famous for their nearly indestructible "elk hide" (chrome tanned cowhide) bagpipe bags. You could play those for 20 or 30 years, no problem. They're no longer made due to the necessary chemicals being now banned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-M-HIGHLAN...YAAOSwkLJbKY-h
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th June 18 at 04:03 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of vintage plain brown leather 3-tassel classic Day sporrans up on Ebay now.

Several have the typical oval gold stamp "made in Scotland real leather".

One is missing two of the three tassels.

A couple sporrans stood out from the crowd a bit, first this Day sporran with lovely Celtic tooling, for $50.

The seller says it's black but the photos of the front make it appear to be the extremely dark brown that one sees in old sporrans sometimes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTTISH-LE...wAAOSwcSFbQAN5

Here's the stamp on the back, new to me

Second was this one, a modern brown leather Day sporran from a maker I'm not familiar with, going currently for under $20.

I really like the style, and the leather they used, which has a vintage used look even when new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Brow...EAAOSwE2tbQyYW

Here's the back with the stamp Braveheart Sporrans Scotland.

My nitpicky eye notices that it does not say "made in Scotland" and I have seen non-Scottish-made Highland dress items labelled "such-and-such firm Scotland" where the firm in based in Scotland but they import their goods. I'm not claiming that this is the case here, only that not specifically saying "made in Scotland" leaves the door open.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 9th July 18 at 03:50 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast