X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 4th sporran is on the way as a result of this thread, and all combined for cheaper than a new quality one. The latest being the fake fur one.

I appreciate it greatly.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Wingnut037 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks!!

I just picked up this one for around $30.

No stamp visible in the auction photos but the sporran has every appearance of high-quality UK or NA make.

You wouldn't get that level of definition in the cantle with a Pakistani re-cast.
    Great sporran! I don't think I've seen that cantle before. If you figure out who made it, I'd be curious to know!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cantle

IMG_7451.jpg
    I've the same cantle but with black enamelling (it was originally on a silver fox sporran but I switched it over to a sealskin). Picked it up a couple of years ago from the Celtic Craft Centre in Edinburgh. They told me a guy from Glasgow bought up machinery and old stock when a Sporran maker there shut up shop. So you can rule out WM Scott, Margaret Morrison and Nicholl Brothers as the makers. Mine has D&N (with a small copyright 'c') engraved on the side of the cantle.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6582 View Post
    IMG_7451.jpg
    I've the same cantle but with black enamelling...from the Celtic Craft Centre in Edinburgh. They told me a guy from Glasgow bought up machinery and old stock when a Sporran maker there shut up shop. So you can rule out WM Scott, Margaret Morrison and Nicholl Brothers as the makers. Mine has D&N (with a small copyright 'c') engraved on the side of the cantle.
    Thanks for the information! I will look for the D&N stamp when my sporran comes.

Dalman & Narborough made, and still make, a large number of buckles and other fittings including cantles and bagpipe mounts.

From 1850 to 1961 they were Frederick Narborough (FN) and became Dalman & Narborough (D&N) in 1962.

Here's a page of their catalogue in the 1990s.

In 2012 they were "absorbed into" All Arms Marketing & Manufacturing Organisation.

I can't find it at the moment but I have a Nicol Bros Bankfoot partial catalogue from around 2004 which as I recall has sporrans with that cantle style.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th October 21 at 05:27 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one, not from eBay, but from Etsy. It's a very simple, medium brown day sporran in good shape. There are no markings, but it's almost certainly Scottish made and probably quite old, given the button stud closure.

I have this exact sporran in chocolate brown, and even with some visible wear (or perhaps by virtue of it), it's a fabulously classic piece. Around $40 shipped to the US, and only about £15 within the UK.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1094635...-with-tassells

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to JPS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's beautiful and classic JPS! What a great find.

My sporran arrived, it's made from that-which-must-not-be-named, obviously Scottish-made though lacking any markings.

Disappointed to not see D&N on the cantle.

I don't care for the "antique finish" on the cantle, in fact I'm not sure what the finish is! Almost looks like it's painted, with a dull clear-coat applied. Happily it has the traditional tiny domed hex bolts, I'm going to remove the cantle and on the back side try to find out what's underneath the finish. Perhaps the cantle can be polished up.

I found my old Nicoll Brothers catalogue! Just four pages (1, 2, 4, and 6) is all I have. Here's page one, you can see this very cantle style (D18)

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that sporran I just got the "antique finish" appeared to be grey paint or some such.

I knew the cantle could look much nicer! My inspiration was Miller's sporran:

Quote Originally Posted by Miller6582 View Post
    So I took off the cantle to see if the reverse of the cantle had the same finish as the front. It did, giving me a nice big surface to experiment with, to find out what the metal underneath the paint looked like.

I tried polish, and steel wool, and finally fine sandpaper. Under the ugly paint was pretty nice-looking silvery metal, possibly aluminium.

So I went to work on the front of the cantle, using first very fine sandpaper, then steel wool, to get the raised portions of the design to look a bit more silvery. I didn't want it too shiny, I wanted to keep some of the "antique" look.

Here's what I ended up with, the new $40 Ebay sporran on the left an a century-old solid German Silver cantle on the right, both having nice knotwork and cool bird heads.

That new sporran cantle is a very nice sculpt! I wonder who did the sculpt, and when.

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th October 21 at 05:33 AM.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vintage Nicoll Bros day sporran with low starting price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363572181...QAAOSwC25hYF1q

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is identical to the NOS Nicol Bros sporran I sold recently.

Conversely, the seller of this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334121335495 - may be over-optimistic with the pricing...

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    On that sporran I just got the "antique finish" appeared to be grey paint or some such.

I knew the cantle could look much nicer! My inspiration was Miller's sporran:

So I took off the cantle to see if the reverse of the cantle had the same finish as the front. It did, giving me a nice big surface to experiment with, to find out what the metal underneath the paint looked like.

I tried polish, and steel wool, and finally fine sandpaper. Under the ugly paint was pretty nice-looking silvery metal, possibly aluminium.

So I went to work on the front of the cantle, using first very fine sandpaper, then steel wool, to get the raised portions of the design to look a bit more silvery. I didn't want it too shiny, I wanted to keep some of the "antique" look.

Here's what I ended up with, the new $40 Ebay sporran on the left an a century-old solid German Silver cantle on the right, both having nice knotwork and cool bird heads.

That new sporran cantle is a very nice sculpt! I wonder who did the sculpt, and when.

I wonder if the silvery metal could be pewter - or poor man's silver, as it can be polished to a brilliant shine. It looks good quality whatever - a good find..!

Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast