X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 16 of 83 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to thank Richard for this thread. I have been trying to get a seal-skin dress sporran for a while and I managed to snag this one for significantly less than a new non-seal sporran would have cost.

IMG_0634 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0639 - Copy.JPG
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

This one just came up, no bids, around $65US including shipping from the UK, a nice Evening style that compliments many tartans

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Leath...temCondition=4

(As an aside, it's interesting how in the Pipe Band Fashion world regional styles will develop. Here in Southern California the type of sporran in the listing was worn by four or five different pipe bands for a time.)

Now this is strange, a vintage child's sporran stuck onto the front of a larger sporran

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SPO...temCondition=4
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th November 19 at 04:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't posted in a while because there's been a lack of the very sort of sporran I view as the target of this thread: top-quality Made In Scotland sporrans for under $50.

A hair over this amount, $54 and you also have to pay for shipping (but still quite a bargain) is this sporran, the type I call the Pipe Band Sporran.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scottish-Ki...temCondition=4

Originally Hunting Sporrans (and all Day Dress sporrans) were brown, but around 1960 they started offering them in black. And they started sticking the silver/nickel/chrome cantles from Evening Dress sporrans on the Hunting Sporrans to dress them up a bit.

For whatever reason, in the 1990s this exact style became the standard sporran for Pipe Bands the world over. You could see a competition with 20 bands in it and sometimes all 20 were wearing this style. It became the mark of the piper.

Here is SFU wearing them

and here, in a vintage sporran catalogue, oddly enough on the page of Evening Dress sporrans

So pipers, here it is! This style, made in Scotland, sells for around $300 nowadays, and here it is for $54.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd December 19 at 03:39 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I have to thank Richard for this thread. I have been trying to get a seal-skin dress sporran for a while and I managed to snag this one for significantly less than a new non-seal sporran would have cost.

I think from the style of stitching in the pictures, that's L & M Highland, so the quality will be very high.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I think from the style of stitching in the pictures, that's L & M Highland, so the quality will be very high.
    The sticker says “made in Scotland” but who knows? It’s not embossed in gold as one often sees.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    That's not L&M. No markings, and the clasp does not match their style.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0634 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0639 - Copy.JPG
    https://www.highlandstore.com/shop/k...-chrome-cantle

This company sells sporrans with the same sticker, and style choices. If you need more info on where they get their stock, drop them a line.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    https://www.highlandstore.com/shop/k...-chrome-cantle

This company sells sporrans with the same sticker, and style choices. If you need more info on where they get their stock, drop them a line.

Frank
    I wonder what makes Greenland seal so special that they advertise it on the sporran?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what makes Greenland seal so special that they advertise it on the sporran?
    Also known as the harp seal in Canada. The scientific name from Latin translates as "ice lover from Greenland" and the taxon translates as "Greenlandic Seal".

Beyond that, I suppose it's no different than one type of pelt is considered more traditional, and therefore more sought after than another.

Seal is very soft, but was never on my must-have short list.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the advertising but it sure helps those of us in the 'states since that particular species is protected here, meaning you can't import anything containing it.

Page 16 of 83 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast