X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 56 of 82 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!!

I knew I had seen those numbers-in-circles somewhere.

Thing is, I worked at a Highland Outfitter in the 1980s who were carrying W E Scott (Edinburgh) sporrans, but when those evinced a decline in quality switched to L&M (Nova Scotia) who were upholding high traditional standards of leather quality and workmanship.

So at that time I probably saw hundreds of L&M sporrans in the shop, but had forgot about the stamps they used.

Now I'll label the photo I took "L&M" and add it to my collection of photos of different maker's stamps.

Here's a more recent L&M stamp.

And another L&M stamp, I have no idea as to date.

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd August 22 at 03:32 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an ordinary civilian horsehair sporran being listed by the seller as a Scots Guards sporran.

It isn't, and I've told the seller so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363920739506

The same seller, however, has also listed what appears to be a genuine Scots Guards sporran. (I would have thought he would look at the two, and think "one of these things is not like the other" but no.)

That civilian style, listed as CT (probably "cast top") in the old catalogues, has been the go-to sporran for civilian pipe bands wearing military-style Full Dress for at least a half-century.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised I got this for 15 pounds. With the import and shipping it came in around $80 Cdn. similar sporrans are $400.00 cdn plus shipping and tax. I honestly just bid on it because it was so cheap. Now I'm really happy I did.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to piperalpha For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27542289407...mis&media=COPY

Looks like a decent classic sporran. It's stamped Made in Scotland.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27542289407...mis&media=COPY

Looks like a decent classic sporran. It's stamped Made in Scotland.
    Yes, probably by W E Scott Edinburgh, though other makers did that exact pattern.

In my old catalogues that pattern is called BF. Some of those letter designations are obvious (HB=Highland Brigade, EW=Evening Wear) but some are cryptic to me, and BF is one of those.

Here are some BF sporrans, some have the sun-wheel/goddess-eye motif and some have the five-point motif.

That five-point thing varied, sometimes looking almost like a Tudor Rose.

As you can see the Achille's Heel of this design was the stitching coming loose where a strip of leather binding holds the flap to the back panel.

Last edited by OC Richard; 16th August 22 at 04:38 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice brown leather Day sporran in apparently new condition.

No markings but it has the look of a quality Scottish-made sporran.

Around $70 including post to the USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11549901881...tion=10%7C3000

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Very nice brown leather Day sporran in apparently new condition.

No markings but it has the look of a quality Scottish-made sporran.

Around $70 including post to the USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11549901881...tion=10%7C3000
    Um, yes, but nothing 'semi-dress' about it as posted. These guys really know little about what they're posting or else they're patently dishonest.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Um, yes, but nothing 'semi-dress' about it as posted. -----------
    Exactly so!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a Scottish-made (probably W E Scott Edinburgh) sporran in seemingly new condition.

Not super-cheap at $70 but still a fraction of what it would cost new.

This is one of those patterns which as far as I can tell was introduced around the time Kilt Hire started taking off.

Features of these including using black leather, and putting elements borrowed from Evening sporrans on leather Day sporrans.

For whatever reason this particular style, a traditional Hunting sporran done up in black, and with a chrome Evening cantle added, became the standard Pipe Band sporran worldwide. At big competitions you can see a dozen bands, one after another, all wearing this style. It's probably the most-copied sporran in Pakistan for that reason.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scottish-Ce...p2056016.l4276

Here it is in a catalogue in the 1980s or 1990s HS/T/B (probably Hunting Sporran/Top/Black)

Last edited by OC Richard; 1st September 22 at 04:49 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Um, yes, but nothing 'semi-dress' about it as posted. These guys really know little about what they're posting or else they're patently dishonest.
    I think they just don't know.

I see things with odd descriptions all the time. The most common is people thinking that Highland civilian photos, kilts, sporrans, jackets, etc are military.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a civilian thing listed as "Scottish military officer's __________ ".

(For some reason it's always "officer's". Seems that in the Scottish regiments there were 300 officers for every private.)

I also wish I had a dollar for every bagpipe I've seen listed as being "recovered from a WWI battlefield". From the sheer number of these, it must be difficult to walk across a WWI battlefield without stepping on a set of pipes.

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 56 of 82 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast