X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I just picked up a nice semi-vintage brown leather Day sporran on Ebay for under $40 (including tax & shipping).

It has the gold oval Made In Scotland Real Leather stamp, and might be by W E Scott Edinburgh.

I didn't grab the auction photo, but here's the exact style:

You got that one! Hope it's as nice in person as it looked in the listing.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JPS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is, it looks as if it's never been worn. And I'm intrigued by the stamp, like the usual gold oval MADE IN SCOTLAND REAL LEATHER stamp but just saying MADE IN SCOTLAND. It's stamped both on the back of the sporran and also on the leather strap. I can't recall seeing that gold oval stamp on the leather belt, but then again vintage sporrans rarely come with their original strap.

Not a super bargain, but here's a vintage lovely brown leather Day sporran on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1153711...search_click=1

It's a standard pattern that goes back to at least 1930. This one is possibly from the 1960s or 1970s. The interesting thing is that in addition to the standard MADE IN SCOTLAND REAL LEATHER stamp it has a TARTAN GIFT SHOPS EDINBURGH stamp.

I have a 1950s-early 1960s catalogue from The Tartan Gift Shop, 96 Princes Street Edinburgh.

It only shows one example of a Day sporran, one without the Celtic knotwork stamp. In this XMarks thread a guy posted that he worked there in 1983 but that it was later sold to Hector Russell.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...talogue-76486/

I Googled 96 Princes Street and today it is indeed Hector Russel, the windows plastered with Closing Down Sale, Relocating signs!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/96...3!4d-3.1990939

In any case that sporran was probably made by W E Scott & Son Edinburgh.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th February 22 at 04:41 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what appears to be a quality made in Scotland sporran in good nick for under $30 including post.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26553653611...ndition=4%7C10

Yes it's missing its tassels but it's quite wearable as it is.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Googled 96 Princes Street and today it is indeed Hector Russel, the windows plastered with Closing Down Sale, Relocating signs!
    The street view on google maps is from 2019. I think they are long gone from Princes St. I didn't notice them at the weekend, although I did walk past their place on the High Street, which looks to be mainly full of tourist tat these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hector Russell

Yeah, the Princes street shop closed but they still operate a Hector Russell shop just off of North Bridge/The Royal Mile. They also have a kilt department on the second floor of Romanes & Paterson on Princes Street (Hector Russell are owned by the Edinburgh Wooden Mill Group and Romanes & Paterson is one of their stores). Anyone visiting Edinburgh should also note that Slanj closed their Mary Street Shop late last year and now only have physical shop in Glasgow.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information! I've not been to Scotland in several years now.

I've visited Slanj Glasgow but didn't know they had had an Edinburgh location.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the bargainiest bargain ever, but still well under $100 for a Made In Scotland Evening sporran

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16532921822...ndition=4%7C10

It's the longstanding EW1 cantle and stamped Made In Scotland on the side.

Goes to show that Scottish-made sporrans aren't always stamped on the back of the leather body.

It's the sort of Evening sporran that was made for export to the USA after we enacted a ban on seal products.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow beautiful very traditional mid-20th century Day sporran for very little money.

This is the style often seen in the 1920s and 1930s. It's 7 inches by 7 inches thus adult size.

Vintage c.1950s Leather Sporran with Belt and Chain, Made In Scotland (AP161A) | eBay

It's like #24 here in an early Fraser Ross catalogue, though lacking the tooling

Last edited by OC Richard; 14th February 22 at 04:50 AM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the MOD "Culloden" sporrans which were introduced in 1953 and were worn up through the 1960s by the Scottish Highland regiments.

$10 opening bid but the seller has low feedback and is in the Ukraine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39394280575...ndition=4%7C10

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the MOD "Culloden" sporrans which were introduced in 1953 and were worn up through the 1960s by the Scottish Highland regiments.

$10 opening bid but the seller has low feedback and is in the Ukraine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39394280575...ndition=4%7C10
    Saw this last night, and I want it pretty badly, but there's no chance it remains a deal, is there?

Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast