X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quality vintage sporran chain

Let me start off by saying that I know that the general advice is that a sporran all-leather strap is better than a chain. For some occasions, though I think chains lend something extra. I am particularly attracted to vintage chains that have a nice patina. I am wondering if there are any qualities people with a discerning eye would identify as indicating quality. For example, what type of links; what kind of clips; are there differences in the buckles; are there material considerations beyond the obvious sterling silver)?

Cheers,
    Alec

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the vintage chains are nicer in pretty much every way.

The leather is nicer, sometimes done in two layers stitched together, generally with black or brown on the outside and red or green on the inside.

This could have matched the sporrans they were originally sold with, as many vintage sporrans have red or green backs.

The chains sometimes are pretty much like modern chains, sometimes they're heavier with more links closer together and overlapping (I don't know how to describe it).

Sometimes the vintage chains have the lovely long links.

About the clips, nowadays most chains just have a single piece of metal bent around, while some vintage chains have elaborate clips with a little spring inside, I suppose made of several separate pieces (the two sides of the clip, the internal spring, the outer housing, the rotating end of the housing, a ring to attach to the chain).

Here's an older chain (above) showing the elegant construction of the leather and chain. Note the leather is stitched, there are no rivets.

Compared to a c2005 from Nicoll Brothers chain (below).

Last edited by OC Richard; 21st November 23 at 05:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read of those clips referred to as "dog clips". They are certainly much nicer than the single piece of bent metal. Any idea when the switch was made to the cheaper one-piece clips? It might be a useful clue for dating purposes if I knew.

Are the flattened links also a sign of quality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asoucy View Post
    I've read of those clips referred to as "dog clips". They are certainly much nicer than the single piece of bent metal. Any idea when the switch was made to the cheaper one-piece clips? It might be a useful clue for dating purposes if I knew.

Are the flattened links also a sign of quality?
    They probably have a proper name, but the fancy clips are usually known as 'Albert swivel clips' as they are the kind of clip used by jewelers for making pocket-watch chains, which are known as 'Alberts'. A search on eBay using that term usually brings up plenty of options.

The flattened chain is known as 'curb' chain, from its common use on horses bridles where it acts as a curb for the bit.

This is easy to find in all kinds of sizes and spacing, but the sort to look out for is the 'diamond cut' version that has the two outside surfaces milled flat and polished. These often have the links closer together, and they lie very neatly over the kilt.

Solid silver versions are prohibitively expensive (well, for me anyway) and the electro-plated nickel silver (EPNS or Sheffield Plate) have the habit of losing their silver plating and the nickel shows yellow where the plating wears off. Non-plated all nickel chains are an excellent option, as the metal polishes-up like silver if that is what you want, or develops a nice dull patina not unlike the 'antique finish' given to modern sporran cantles.

In terms of practical function, there is no difference between curb chain and the long-link sort, but the latter has a definite old-school look to them. There are different options with these, and may have a single round connecting link or tripple round connecting link arangement. Personal perference comes into play here.

These long-link chain-straps are sometime found in a kind of figaro construction, where the chain, with all its long and short links, are twisted and flattened like a curb-chain.

Another thing to look for is individually soldered links - a time-consuming process and so an easily recognised mark of quality.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures in Richard's post show some of the chains I mentioned, and you can see different buckle options too.

If commissioning a chain-strap to be made, you can specify the buckle you want, but with vintage chain-straps (and the long-link ones you see are mostly vintage) you have to settle for what comes.

I was very fortunate many years ago, when a beautiful brass long-link strap (triple connectors) came my way - fitted with an exquisitely-stitched leather-covered buckle.

DSCF1174.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Here's an older chain (above) showing the elegant construction of the leather and chain. Note the leather is stitched, there are no rivets.
    Funny that it seems that this old quality is not available at all anymore. Even the fancy silver chains at House of Labhran are riveted and the straps are not layered like in your image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any recommended suppliers for the diamond cut curb chain?