X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Hello from BRAND NEWBIE

I will give this a go. I am brand new, both here and on the whole concept of Scottish attire and genealogy, family tree branches for the Scottish sides of my family both maternal and paternal. Hopefully I won't mess up with my very first post and stay on the new guy topic as would be expected. LOL

My name is Richard Miller, born in the mid-1940s in a VERY Scots/Irish area in the Ohio River Valley but at the age of 10 we moved to Southern California and I have lived in this God forsaken state ever since. Somewhat by choice and somewhat kicking and screaming to be set free. LOL I currently reside in just about the dead center Geograpically of the state in the "Central Valley"

Both my mother and father have Scottish heritage which I did know from oral family history but NOT EVEN IN THE SAME UNIVERSE CLOSE to the extent I have found with both the years of working on the family tree and multiple DNA testing. My Paternal side goes back WAY far in time though Clan Campbell even before they were called Campbells (from the whole wry or crooked mouth thing) and my Maternal side goes from the name they adopted when coming to Canada then the U.S. which was Carr, back to Clan Kerr, which I still have MUCH more work to so on.

While I have been meaning for YEARS to attend a Scottish Games and Gathering somewhere I finally stopped procrastinating, which I am expert at, and went to the Local gathering and games here in my town just last month for my first exposure ever. I have to admit that even though I knew both sides did have some degree of Scottish lineage I had never even remotely considered the wearing of Scottish attire before until attending this gathering and I admit that while not TOTALLY married to the idea yet I will admit I am having very serious thoughts that maybe I should get on board with the idea. I find this rather seriously hillarious since I am the self proclaimed "King of the Procrastinators" AND I just found out this morning the Clan motto for my mom's family, the Kerr's, is in fact "Sero sed serio (Late but in earnest)" I am STILL laughing histerically over that and I found it about 3 hours ago now. LOL

Since the amount of valid information on this attire subject that I possess could be put in one's eye and still allow you to see quite nicely I will have a few million questions I am sure on where to start and who to start with and ALL of that sort of thing but since this is my first day and first post I will peruse the FAQ list first to see how many of those questions I can find answers to there before jumping in headlong with a pletherah of questions which have already been answered to the point of "ad-nauseam"

At any rate, it is a pleasure to join and I VERY MUCH look forward to converting my vast supply of "ignorance" on this subject to something hopefully much more "well informed" as time passes.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to RpMiller For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :Welcome: from Reno, NV.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met Richard. We'll get to your questions when you get a round "tuit". Glad to have you with us in the mean time.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Richard, from Inverness-shire and British Columbia.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Ireland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in middle England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from the southern end of the state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to XMTS from Michigan. I too have taken a while to work my way into Highland attire but that being said - wear a kilt! Seriously, I find more enjoyment in it than I thought I would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wellcome from Central Texas

Glad to have you abord! May I ask what part of Ohio? I was born there and still have lots of family there with many in Adams and Highland counties to the south. My dad was a rolling stone and then I joined the Army, ending up in Killeen, home of Ft. Hood Texas.

Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast