X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    The Italian American tartan is exclusive to USA Kilts, and I don't see it listed anywhere on their site, so it was probably discontinued.
    I think it was a custom weave to begin with. Maybe @RockyR could provide more info?

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunriseEarth View Post
    I think it was a custom weave to begin with. Maybe @RockyR could provide more info?
    It was a custom design for a particular customer. We've only ever woven it for him (custom weave), but we can happily custom weave it for anyone else. :-)

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Armstrong tartan - My link with it is simply that my father loved the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire - it is a car - if it had been a woman he'd have married her.
    His mother was a Wilson and I am fairly sure that a Wilson designed the gearbox of the cars - whatever - Dad loved the Siddeley Sapphire.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I wear Armstrong tartan - My link with it is simply that my father loved the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire - it is a car - if it had been a woman he'd have married her.
    His mother was a Wilson and I am fairly sure that a Wilson designed the gearbox of the cars - whatever - Dad loved the Siddeley Sapphire.

Anne the Pleater
    I think Wilson is Irish. I have Wilson in me. My mother's mother married a Coyne, whose own mother was a Wilson from Ireland. OTOH, I seem to have a lot of anglo on mom's side. Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish. The whole lot. I have relatives in Kent and my great-grandmother was from London. It balances out the Napolitano on my dad's side. Anyway, Armstrong has a fine tartan.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wilsons were originally Scots, but I am not sure from where, I'll have to look them out one day - they owned land in Yorkshire but tended to go in for engineering as well - having sawmills and tending to the steam engines in the dark satanic mills - Grandad Wilson and his brother used to take my dad out of school and set him to cleaning out the inside of boilers with them - then they would wash him off and give him sixpence to keep quiet - but his mum always knew as they never sent him back clean enough.....

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    The Wilsons were originally Scots, but I am not sure from where, I'll have to look them out one day - they owned land in Yorkshire but tended to go in for engineering as well - having sawmills and tending to the steam engines in the dark satanic mills - Grandad Wilson and his brother used to take my dad out of school and set him to cleaning out the inside of boilers with them - then they would wash him off and give him sixpence to keep quiet - but his mum always knew as they never sent him back clean enough.....

Anne the Pleater
    I guess they got around

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilson. Think about it not as a surname, but as an identifier for a single individual: the son of Will. Lots of Wills. And Williamsons, and Bilsons, and Willems, and Wilsons. Just as there are lots of John-sons, Robert-sons, Tom-sons and David-sons. Not necessarily of Scottish origin. Could be Scottish (a big, big family of Wilsons were tenants on Gunn lands in Caithness in the 19C and were therefore taken in as a sept of Gunn), but could also be English, Irish, Welsh. Don't try to jump generations, but reverse backwards along the path of your ancestry in these 'old' countries to know for sure.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 25th October 17 at 09:41 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Wilson. Think about it not as a surname, but as an identifier for a single individual: the son of Will. Lots of Wills. And Williamsons, and Bilsons, and Willems, and Wilsons. Just as there are lots of John-sons, Robert-sons, Tom-sons and David-sons. Not necessarily of Scottish origin. Could be Scottish (a big, big family of Wilsons were tenants on Gunn lands in Caithness in the 19C and were therefore taken in as a sept of Gunn), but could also be English, Irish, Welsh. Don't try to jump generations, but reverse backwards along the path of your ancestry in these 'old' countries to know for sure.
    Well, I can’t get any further back than Mary Wilson in Ireland. Ancestry.com probably has more info if I pay beyond the basic. Funny thing is that some lineages I can get back to the 1500s with the scripps and I traced back to John Locke’s uncle, but either the Irish/Scottish and Virginia folks I hit dead ends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in Ireland? If you can put her in Northern Ireland and she was Protestant, there is a fair chance of a Scottish connection, although there were English settlers in Northern Ireland as well.

I have a couple of lines that seem to stop in Northern Ireland, though the names appear to be Scottish. I would like to think those lines were Scots-Irish, but who knows? More research needed, etc., etc. That is what make genealogy fun, well, when it is not making you crazy.

Holcombe

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Holcombe Thomas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holcombe Thomas View Post
    Where in Ireland? If you can put her in Northern Ireland and she was Protestant, there is a fair chance of a Scottish connection, although there were English settlers in Northern Ireland as well.

I have a couple of lines that seem to stop in Northern Ireland, though the names appear to be Scottish. I would like to think those lines were Scots-Irish, but who knows? More research needed, etc., etc. That is what make genealogy fun, well, when it is not making you crazy.

Holcombe
    I don't know. For her and her husband, the records in Ancestry just say about ireland. I have listing as Anne Wilson and Mary Anne Wilson, born 1825. She married Thomas Coyne who was born 1830. Both came to the US in the 1840's. I am pretty sure they were catholic and on one of the irish sites it says these coynes were from from Dublin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast