X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In need of a piper.

The North Carolina Department of Public Safety is looking for a piper to help honor correctional officers who have died or been killed in the line of duty this year. The date is November 15, 2017 at The Great Wolf Lodge in Charlotte, NC. If you are interested or know someone who may be please private message me for details.

Thank you

Graham

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to find the top pipers in any region is to look at the list of pipe bands in whatever Pipe Band Association your area is under the jurisdiction of.

I believe you would be in EUSPBA territory.

There's a list of bands. Some bands are great, some are poor, but each will know the best player in the area, the piper who is a prominent teacher, performer, and often a piping judge to boot. The advantage of looking a band up on the EUSPBA site is that the band's grade is listed, 1 being best, 5 being poorest.

A quick look found this map of NC bands; I don't see any Charlotte bands that have a competition ranking. Non-competition bands tend to have lower-level players than serious competition bands. (Some will dispute this but it's generally true.)

http://www.pipebandsnc.com/histories/

Here's the EUSPBA band list. I don't see any listed in Charlotte but beware that they might list a band as being from the address of whatever person in the band mailed off the membership forms to EUSPBA. So, a band might be centered in Charlotte but be listed as being from some other nearby place. I don't know the area so I wouldn't know which other communities, towns, and cities are nearby.

http://euspba.org/membership-list-band/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th November 17 at 07:02 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit late but reach out to Loch Norman. They're based in Huntersville but most of the members live in Charlotte or the area. Were I not already busy I'd be interested but Grad school has priorities. The Charlotte Fire Pipe band might be able to as well.
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check out the Bob Dunsire piping forum:

http://forums.bobdunsire.com
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.