X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love “Findagrave.com!”

Findagrave.com is a great genealogy site. Volunteers visit graveyards, and document grave sites (often with good obit info), and post on the site. I’ve found folks I never knew existed... photos, links to other relatives, etc.. It also allows you to make contact with the volunteers. I did this with a nice wife of a distant relative. She and her husband are the source of much of my info, on ancestors in Michigan and Ontario. (Scottish- and Irish-Canadian, American) Anyway, look this site up.
    ARIZONA CELT

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Michael Weatherhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an aunt that volunteers for "Find a grave". She started with our family and included, with the obits, the census reports attached as far back as she could find. This was very helpful indeed to me and others that traced our family line. I think the support system for this group is admirable and one more tool anyone tracing family ties can use.

Every tool is available when working on a project. Some are better suited than others.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wound up on that site by accident recently. I had a very strange conversation in multiple languages with someone who appeared to have both dementia and delusions of grandeur. He gave a name, and when I later searched it the most recent hit seemed to be someone who was buried in 1966 in another country. This doesn't prove much, but he was repeating himself, making incredible claims, and this happened down the street from an old folks home, where I imagine they have a number of people with dementia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm rather puzzled by the "Findagrave" website. A number of my Forbes relatives are buried in Caputh Cemetery (Scotland). I've been there, and it's quite a sizeable cemetery. Yet Findagrave lists only 23 interments. Only one Forbes is there [JS Forbes, d. 1917, who is named on the war memorial]: my ancestor Donald Forbes and his wife Christian are not, though I have seen (and photographed) their gravestone.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The listings on FindAGrave are definitely not comprehensive. It's all done on a volunteer basis, and some cemeteries (particularly small family or country church cemeteries) aren't even listed. When I first looked at FindAGrave a few years ago, the cemetery my grandparents are buried in only had a hundred or so entries. There are several thousand burials there, and FindAGrave has been updated some since I first looked. It takes time.

I found some info recently on a family that were cousins to my grandmother. Previously, there was little or nothing online to be found about them.
    Last edited by EagleJCS; 30th October 17 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo
    John

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also appreciate FindAGrave. I've benefitted from other postings and have added a few myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FindaGrave site

I have used the site and was able to link my GGrand Father to my GGGrandather with the info. I found out that in many cases there are several folks with the same or very familar names making the search hard, but still worth it!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do se it all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great site. I have used it numerous times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast