X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Not Iron!!!!

You press. Lift the iron up - reposition - press down - Lift the iron up.

I press both sides.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH, and by the way. Dry cleaning today is perfectly safe for woolens. They don't use the harsh chemicals that they did in the past.

I dry clean my kilts and even the leather has come out nice.

If you do take your kilt to the dry cleaners all you have to do - is have them note on the slip - In big red letters - DO NOT PRESS. Ask them to simply clean it and then just hang it up.
    My pleats stay nice and crisp for over a year of everyday wear and about 6-8 dry cleanings per year.

If you want to take the wrinkles out be careful with a steamer. A light pass and an overnight hanging will usually let an wrinkles fall out. Concentrated, direct steam that heats the fabric will also take the creases right out. Now you are forced to baste and re-press.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Do Not Iron!!!!

You press. Lift the iron up - reposition - press down - Lift the iron up.

I press both sides.
    Got it - press not iron both sides. And I appreciate the visual guide for basting, thanks again. And be sure to be careful with the steam heat if I use a steamer.

But that being said I am wondering if you do basting before dry cleaning? The pleats are still looking good but the apron is wrinkled.

Thanks again Steve

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only baste if I need to re-press the pleats to give them sharp creases or fix wonky pleats.

And if it is only the apron go ahead and steam the wrinkles out. There are no creases to mess up.

A caution. The edges of the aprons are wider at the bottom than at the waist so don't be concerned and don't try to straighten them.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    A caution. The edges of the aprons are wider at the bottom than at the waist so don't be concerned and don't try to straighten them.
    Again, much appreciated, thanks you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I convene a tent for our clan at highland games all summer and fall so I need to clean my kilts at least once a year. I have been taking them to the same dry cleaner for over 20 years. They look as good today as when I had them made. No issues with the straps or buckles. He also does two local pipe bands as well which gives me greater confidence.

A side note - most cleaners do not "iron" anything because it takes too long. They press everything with a pressing machine. But it wouldn't hurt to specify that as well.

I would certainly suggest shopping around for a cleaner that has kilt experience, I would ask. I also suspect you might get a wide variety of pricing as it is not a standard garment.

Good luck.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    I convene a tent for our clan at highland games all summer and fall so I need to clean my kilts at least once a year. I have been taking them to the same dry cleaner for over 20 years. They look as good today as when I had them made. No issues with the straps or buckles. He also does two local pipe bands as well which gives me greater confidence.

A side note - most cleaners do not "iron" anything because it takes too long. They press everything with a pressing machine. But it wouldn't hurt to specify that as well.

I would certainly suggest shopping around for a cleaner that has kilt experience, I would ask. I also suspect you might get a wide variety of pricing as it is not a standard garment.

Good luck.
    Thank you and yes my ignorance shines through when I say ironing - but I would not to have thought to press as opposed to iron. I will check around for sure for pricing and experience.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Moses For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post

Good luck.
    The last time I had a kilt cleaned and pressed they charged me by the pleat. I don't remember how much, it was 25+ years ago, but I do remember that it was not too dear.

Stoff

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12