X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ancient Blue - Lewis vs Rannoch

I'd like to get hose in Ancient Blue, and I am trying to decide between Lewis and Rannoch. I believe the main difference is the Celtic cable top versus the lattice top. However, the Lewis also appears lighter in color than the the Rannoch on the website. Also, I believe the Rannoch has a longer cuff than the Lewis does.

Is there a difference in the color or the cuff size? Are there other differences between the two to consider (aside from price)?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunriseEarth View Post
    Is there a difference in the color or the cuff size? Are there other differences between the two to consider (aside from price)?
    Good post because I have basically the same questions.

They described the Rannoch cuff as "chunkier" requiring more material and knitting, however it wasn't mentioned that it was longer.

I too was looking at the color last night and thought I noticed that there was a difference in colors. Specifically the Ecru seems to have a more yellow tone in the picture, which I like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few pair of each (Lewis and Rannoch), and honestly, there's not a great deal of difference between the two. The Rannoch hose are generally "earthier" colors, and the hose tops have a slightly more diamond shaped pattern, while the Lewis hose have a more honeycomb-shaped pattern, and are more traditional colors.

I've seen the Rannoch hose billed as "shooting socks" versus the Lewis hose, which are typically described as kilt hose. Perhaps this explains the difference in the color palette.

I don't think you can go wrong, either way.

See photo below. Rannoch on the left and Lewis on right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rannoch vs. Lewis.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	32302
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Good post because I have basically the same questions.

They described the Rannoch cuff as "chunkier" requiring more material and knitting, however it wasn't mentioned that it was longer.

I too was looking at the color last night and thought I noticed that there was a difference in colors. Specifically the Ecru seems to have a more yellow tone in the picture, which I like.
    That makes more sense. I actually heard that it was "bigger", which I assumed meant longer as opposed to thicker. Seeing the side-by-side pics above helps.

Still trying to determine the perceived color difference...
    Last edited by SunriseEarth; 1st November 17 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I have a few pair of each (Lewis and Rannoch), and honestly, there's not a great deal of difference between the two. The Rannoch hose are generally "earthier" colors, and the hose tops have a slightly more diamond shaped pattern, while the Lewis hose have a more honeycomb-shaped pattern, and are more traditional colors. I've seen the Rannoch hose billed as "shooting socks" versus the Lewis hose, which are typically described as kilt hose. Perhaps this explains the difference in the color palette.
    Thank you for the description and the side-by-side! I have the Rannoch hose in black and love them. I don't have any Lewis hose (yet).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunriseEarth View Post
    That makes more sense. I actually heard that it was "bigger", which I assumed meant longer as opposed to thicker. Seeing the side-by-side picks below helps.

Still trying to determine the perceived color difference...
    I can tell you that I did ask Ashley today regarding an order I had and she said it was more likely a difference in lighting. For the Ecru color she said use the Lewis as a better judge.

Either way the customer service is outstanding and if you ask them I am sure they can provide guidance. I just got 2 pairs of Lewis and am very happy.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Moses For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my opinion of Rannoch and Lewis styles from House of Cheviot

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I have a few pair of each (Lewis and Rannoch), and honestly, there's not a great deal of difference between the two. The Rannoch hose are generally "earthier" colors, and the hose tops have a slightly more diamond shaped pattern, while the Lewis hose have a more honeycomb-shaped pattern, and are more traditional colors.

I've seen the Rannoch hose billed as "shooting socks" versus the Lewis hose, which are typically described as kilt hose. Perhaps this explains the difference in the color palette.

I don't think you can go wrong, either way.

See photo below. Rannoch on the left and Lewis on right.

Name:	Rannoch vs. Lewis.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	32302

Name:	3_Rannoch_mustard.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	32304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	32305 I have both Rannoch and Lewis hose from House of Cheviot and couldn't be happier with both styles. I chose the Rannoch style because it seemed more to the mustard Yellow that I wanted and when they arrived they were EXACTLY what was depicted and what I wanted. The Claret of the Lewis hose was also exactly what was depicted and wanted. The pattern on the top of the hose is slightly different but unless you have an extremely discerning eye it is almost unnoticeable, unless comparing the hose side by each... The Rannoch does seem to be made of heavier material so that may account for being referred to as hunting hose .. I do have kilt hose from other sources but nothing compares to the beauty and especially the quality of House of Cheviot

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to go ahead and order the Rannoch ones. Down the line, I intend to pick up different colors in Lewis. Maybe if I'm good, Santa will bring me some for Christmas.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post

Name:	3_Rannoch_mustard.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	32304 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	32305 I have both Rannoch and Lewis hose from House of Cheviot and couldn't be happier with both styles. I chose the Rannoch style because it seemed more to the mustard Yellow that I wanted and when they arrived they were EXACTLY what was depicted and what I wanted. The Claret of the Lewis hose was also exactly what was depicted and wanted. The pattern on the top of the hose is slightly different but unless you have an extremely discerning eye it is almost unnoticeable, unless comparing the hose side by each... The Rannoch does seem to be made of heavier material so that may account for being referred to as hunting hose .. I do have kilt hose from other sources but nothing compares to the beauty and especially the quality of House of Cheviot
    Terry I was/am seriously considering the Rannoch in mustard yellow and was hoping that you could get an actual photo. I really want a yellow pair but am hesitant of the shade. Thanks for your post either way

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mustard yellow with my Canadian Maple Leaf Tartan

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Terry I was/am seriously considering the Rannoch in mustard yellow and was hoping that you could get an actual photo. I really want a yellow pair but am hesitant of the shade. Thanks for your post either way

Views:	15 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	32311 This is what House of Cheviot Mustard Yellow Rannoch kilt hose looks like with my Canadian Maple Leaf Tartan. The yellow in the Lewis style was more like just a plain yellow to my eyes. Both were very nice but the mustard yellow is more what I wanted. The the wool used in the Rannoch style seem a bit heavier than the Lewis style when I compared the two together. Both are lovely but the mustard Yellow was exactly as depicted and what I wanted

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast