X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single seam trews

There has been a lot of discussion over the years of the fact that proper military trews (and civilian trews cut to match) should only have an inside seam. I've been musing on this assumption and find myself asking why and when this dictate arose?

Examples of original Highland trews that I’ve examined were all piece made from sections of tartan which helped them fit more tightly.

Modern trews, military of otherwise are in effect tartan trousers despite the tradition of calling them trews. Their cut is slightly different to contemporary civilian trousers but the earliest example of proto-modern trews I’ve been able to find are these c1830 ones held in the McCord Museum, Montreal. I’ve always assumed that they were military, whether that is the case or not, they have two seams. Bear in mind that they and early military trousers were issued and so would have had to be general sizes, in effect tartan pantaloons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TREWS McCORD MUS c1830.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	32308

So when and why did the single seam tradition arise? I can’t be sure of the when yet but suspect the why was the introduction of double width cloth which would have negated the need for a second seam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently spotted these 1947 military trews on eBay and they have outside seams:

There are additional photos here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/An-Original-...QAAOSwU1FZ8yR1
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 2nd November 17 at 01:37 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the single seam some sort of a throwback misremembered tradition going back to the bias cut trews of the 16th thru early 18th centuries, were you would have a seam up the back of the leg?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Is the single seam some sort of a throwback misremembered tradition going back to the bias cut trews of the 16th thru early 18th centuries, were you would have a seam up the back of the leg?
    Who knows but the only two pairs of 18th century trews I know of were both piece-made from sections: the Hynde Cotton suit and one in private hands.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To perhaps muddy the waters, leather breeches, especially those for folks riding horses, those are made rather different than normal breeches, there even being a special class of tailors dedicated to just making them, they are made with no interior to the leg seams.