X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gift of the Chief--clan membership

If Clan membership is a "gift of the chief," and the Chief is the nominal head of the UK clan society, does that mean that acceptance into the society constitutes a Clan membership by way of a gift of the chief?
    Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're overthinking this. Clan societies are organizations that require dues. A "clan" is all those whom the clan chief accepts the "allegiance" of. Practically, if you have a surname associated with clan, or are descended from someone who did, then you're part of the "clan". If you pay your dues you're part of the clan society. Most chiefs are happy to have anyone that is willing to support the activities of the "clan". Typically these are members of the Diaspora.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 2nd November 17 at 02:32 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Clan societies, at least in N. America, are more akin to social groups. Joining a Society gets you the newsletter.

I know of at least three who always seem to have a tent at Highland Games who have no connection to the Scottish Highland Clan at all.
    I have one customer who always refers to "My Clan" when she actually means her small, local, social group that meet and dress up under a banner with the Clan name on it.
    A Clan Chief may or may not know what the societies are doing.

But hey, you get the newsletter so may get some background and perhaps a little history.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Most Clan societies, at least in N. America, are more akin to social groups. Joining a Society gets you the newsletter.

I know of at least three who always seem to have a tent at Highland Games who have no connection to the Scottish Highland Clan at all.
    I have one customer who always refers to "My Clan" when she actually means her small, local, social group that meet and dress up under a banner with the Clan name on it.
    A Clan Chief may or may not know what the societies are doing.

But hey, you get the newsletter so may get some background and perhaps a little history.
    Agreed, in my experience most US clan societies are such. However, I was thinking specifically of the UK Clan Gunn Society wherein the Clan Chief is also the head of the society.

I'd seen the notion that actual clan membership is a 'gift of the chief' conferred upon an individual in another post on Xmarks somewhere.
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just contact the Chief personally. I'll bet you get a nice letter back that you can frame.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Why not just contact the Chief personally. I'll bet you get a nice letter back that you can frame.
    Might do, though I was mostly just curious about the mechanics of these things.
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clan Cunningham International, of which I am a member is a non-political, non-sectarian, all volunteer, non-profit corporation registered in the State of Tennessee. As a registered non-profit organisation, under IRS Code Section 501(c) (3), (public educational charity) all donations to support its activities are tax deductible within the limitation of federal tax codes for donors who are US citizens. Although based in the USA, membership is open world wide. Membership is open to all Cunninghams around the world by birth, marriage, or adoption, and to the descendants of the Associated Families of the Districts of Cunninghame and Ayrshire in Scotland, as well as to anyone with an interest in or wishing to promote the heritage of Clan Cunningham. The Chief of Clan Cunningham recognises the organisation and participates when he is able to do so. The Chief has appointed a Lieutenant to represent him in North America. The Lieutenant is an unofficial position, not recognised in the Scottish clan hierarchy but is, as far as I am aware, a fairly usual appointment among clan societies in USA and Canada. The Chief, Lieutenant and all Cunningham Armigers are honorary members of the organisation while other members pay annual membership fees. The organisation is active at Scottish themed gatherings, and also in the provision of scholarships and a genealogy database and produces a newsletter four times a year. Memberships are paid to the membership secretary and the right to membership would not normally be vetted by the Chief.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get a succinct answer to your question from an officer of The Court of The Lord Lyon, google "What is a Clan? by Crispin Agnew."

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacRob For This Useful Post: