X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is MacDonald of glencoe recognized?

I like the glencoe tartan quite a bit and wondered if it is actually recognized by the chiefs of clan donald? I know the campbells are pretty strict on what their “official” tartans are.

The only MacDonald tartans I see on the clan website are standard MacDonald and those of the main branches (clanranald, Sleat, glengarry, etc). Since glencoe has no chief, I guess there’s be nobody to say it was official other than the high chief.

Does anyone here have any idea?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I like the glencoe tartan quite a bit and wondered if it is actually recognized by the chiefs of clan donald? I know the campbells are pretty strict on what their “official” tartans are.

The only MacDonald tartans I see on the clan website are standard MacDonald and those of the main branches (clanranald, Sleat, glengarry, etc). Since glencoe has no chief, I guess there’s be nobody to say it was official other than the high chief.

Does anyone here have any idea?
    The short answer is no, it's not officially recognised as you mean it but then again, nor are the majority of the older tartans associated with Clan Donald; Glenaladale, Kingsburgh and Borrodale being the three most obvious. Unlike many other clan societies, there appears to have been no serious attempt to collate details of the various MacDonald and associated tartans, of which there are around 50, on any of the 'official' clan websites:

The High council of Clan Donald

The Clan Donald Society of the Highlands and Islands

Clan Donald Society of Edinburgh - Why on earth use a non-Clan Donald tartan doing as the background?

Clan Donald USA

Only Larry MacDonald's Clan Donald Heritage site explores tartan in any serious way.

With regard to the so-called MacDonald of Glencoe, it has been claimed that a fragment so named in the West Highland Museum (WHM) was found in Glencoe and so was automatically attributed to the MacDonalds, however I know of no proof other than the Glencoe connection. To date I have been unable to track down the alleged specimen which is remarkably similar to a piece of MacDonald of Keppoch, also said to be in the WHM.

There must be some doubt that there are two similar pieces in the same museum and I strongly suspect that both patterns have been extracted from a single specimen and that one, or both, of the modern settings is erroneous. I cannot find a reference to the MacDonald of Glencoe tartan before about 1950 and suspect that its naming was a researcher’s error at some time around then.

Notwithstanding the doubts about its antiquity, the design has been around as MacDonald of Glencoe for some time, if you like it - wear it, just understand the background and don’t assume that it’s a truly old pattern associated with the MacIains of Glencoe.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The short answer is no, it's not officially recognised as you mean it but then again, nor are the majority of the older tartans associated with Clan Donald; Glenaladale, Kingsburgh and Borrodale being the three most obvious. Unlike many other clan societies, there appears to have been no serious attempt to collate details of the various MacDonald and associated tartans, of which there are around 50, on any of the 'official' clan websites:

The High council of Clan Donald

The Clan Donald Society of the Highlands and Islands

Clan Donald Society of Edinburgh - Why on earth use a non-Clan Donald tartan doing as the background?

Clan Donald USA

Only Larry MacDonald's Clan Donald Heritage site explores tartan in any serious way.

With regard to the so-called MacDonald of Glencoe, it has been claimed that a fragment so named in the West Highland Museum (WHM) was found in Glencoe and so was automatically attributed to the MacDonalds, however I know of no proof other than the Glencoe connection. To date I have been unable to track down the alleged specimen which is remarkably similar to a piece of MacDonald of Keppoch, also said to be in the WHM.

There must be some doubt that there are two similar pieces in the same museum and I strongly suspect that both patterns have been extracted from a single specimen and that one, or both, of the modern settings is erroneous. I cannot find a reference to the MacDonald of Glencoe tartan before about 1950 and suspect that its naming was a researcher’s error at some time around then.

Notwithstanding the doubts about its antiquity, the design has been around as MacDonald of Glencoe for some time, if you like it - wear it, just understand the background and don’t assume that it’s a truly old pattern associated with the MacIains of Glencoe.
    I notice that the Scottish Register of Tartans lists categories for the tartans on their website. These include fashion or clan/family (perusing MacDonald tartans). Would this be a good guideline for determining actual whether a tartan is really associated with a clan (not necessarily into antiquity) in the absence of guidance from the clan societies/chiefs of MacDonald. MacD of Glencoe has a category of "unidentified," which fits into what you were saying.

I did see something strange to me. MacDonald of the Isles is listed as a fashion tartan and that it is not generally considered a clan tartan since it comes from the Vestiarium Scoticum. However, I thought most of the associations between a specific tartan and clan were inventions of the Victorian period anyway. I wonder why MacD of the Isles was found wanting.

The entry is here for reference.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An additional observation about MacD of the Isles. The well know photo of the Chiefs of MacDonald shows the Earl of Antrim wearing a kilt in that tartan so maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing but perhaps an Earl can get away with it?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that the Scottish Register of Tartans lists categories for the tartans on their website. These include fashion or clan/family (perusing MacDonald tartans). Would this be a good guideline for determining actual whether a tartan is really associated with a clan (not necessarily into antiquity) in the absence of guidance from the clan societies/chiefs of MacDonald. MacD of Glencoe has a category of "unidentified," which fits into what you were saying.

I did see something strange to me. MacDonald of the Isles is listed as a fashion tartan and that it is not generally considered a clan tartan since it comes from the Vestiarium Scoticum. However, I thought most of the associations between a specific tartan and clan were inventions of the Victorian period anyway. I wonder why MacD of the Isles was found wanting.

The entry is here for reference.
    The original categorisations in the Register were based on the entries suppied by the STA which were themselves the work of one individual some 15 years ago. In this case this entry is clearly wrong and it should be under the 'Clan/Family' category. I will get it change in both.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRT entry amended to reflect Clan/Family category.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRT entry amended to reflect Clan/Family category.
    So in spite of its provenance, is MacDonald of the isles considered an “official” clan donald tartan?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in spite of its provenance, is MacDonald of the isles considered an “official” clan donald tartan?
    Depends what you mean by 'official' and 'considered'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what you mean by 'official' and 'considered'?
    The real issue is that the Chiefs and societies don't seem to offer much guidance.

What I guess I'm asking is whether or not the wearing of MacDonald of the Isles tartan is generally accepted practice among the people and Chiefs of clan Donald? Historically and today.

Would it appear strange for "Jock MacDonald" of Moraig to commission a kilt in that tartan? I have seen one chief in it but that may not indicate what may or may not be common among other members of the clan.

I understand that it may be a stretch to ask you that but I do appreciate all the information you've shared so far regardless.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real issue is that the Chiefs and societies don't seem to offer much guidance.

What I guess I'm asking is whether or not the wearing of MacDonald of the Isles tartan is generally accepted practice among the people and Chiefs of clan Donald? Historically and today.

Would it appear strange for "Jock MacDonald" of Moraig to commission a kilt in that tartan? I have seen one chief in it but that may not indicate what may or may not be common among other members of the clan.

I understand that it may be a stretch to ask you that but I do appreciate all the information you've shared so far regardless.
    I can't speak for the chiefs, the various clan societies are only as good or interested as the people that man them. The fact is that this is a popular tartan that is available commercialy and is worn quite widely by MacDonalds, I've also seen at least one pipe band wearing it.

The simple answer is, if you like it wear it but bear in mind that there are other tartans associatd with Clan Donald that have a greater antiquity. Bottom line, there are no tartan police and no-one will get upset if you choose to wear this tartan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast