X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Jock Scot’s comment. I often read comments about kilts starting with “Well I am Scottish, and I grew up knowing...”

I can name any number of my fellow compatriots in Australia who, despite being born and bred in Australia, know scarce little of Australian history too, including some MPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    No that’s not a typo James VII Of Scotland James II of England fled the throne during the glorious revolution of 1688 his son was proclaimed king James VIII of Scotland James the III of England and Wales as well as France upon his fathers death (which was kind of awkward as his cousin Louis king of France was sheltering the family at the time)

Regards David
    James the 8th of ENGLAND?
    James the 3rd of SCOTLAND?
    is what it says in the text...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    James the 8th of ENGLAND?
    James the 3rd of SCOTLAND?
    is what it says in the text...
    I'm confused. Is this the part you are referring to?
    "Jacobite means supporter of James Francis Edward Stewart, or deposed King James III of England, also known as James VIII of Scotland."

EDIT: Clarified in #14 by EagleJCS
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 21st November 17 at 02:00 PM.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gents, the errant information is in the paragraph under the image of the Royal Stewart tartan, before the discussion of the Dress Act.

"MacDonald: Originally, they were Scottish. They go right back to James Stewart, or James VI of Scotland, who became James I of England and Wales under the Union of the Crowns in 1603. Because Elizabeth I had no children, when she died, they had to look around for someone to succeed her. James was related, and so he was offered the crown. He was a Scot, and therefore, from him, descend all the Jameses, hence the Jacobites. If you go to what was called James VIII of England and James III of Scotland, he was born in England, but forced to flee with his father when he was about 7. His son, Bonnie Prince Charlie, was born in Rome."

(emphasis mine)

The paragraph preceding the image of the Royal Stewart tartan has it in the correct order: "
    Jacobite means supporter of James Francis Edward Stewart, or deposed King James III of England, also known as James VIII of Scotland".
    John

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very educational. Thank you for posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted, EagleJCS beat me to it...
    Last edited by The Q; 21st November 17 at 01:36 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Gents, the errant information is in the paragraph under the image of the Royal Stewart tartan, before the discussion of the Dress Act.

"MacDonald: Originally, they were Scottish. They go right back to James Stewart, or James VI of Scotland, who became James I of England and Wales under the Union of the Crowns in 1603. Because Elizabeth I had no children, when she died, they had to look around for someone to succeed her. James was related, and so he was offered the crown. He was a Scot, and therefore, from him, descend all the Jameses, hence the Jacobites. If you go to what was called James VIII of England and James III of Scotland, he was born in England, but forced to flee with his father when he was about 7. His son, Bonnie Prince Charlie, was born in Rome."

(emphasis mine)

The paragraph preceding the image of the Royal Stewart tartan has it in the correct order: "
    Jacobite means supporter of James Francis Edward Stewart, or deposed King James III of England, also known as James VIII of Scotland".
    I missed that in the online draft. Their mistake, not mine 🙄. I will ask them to amend it.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems Ironic. My paternal ancestor, born in Rothsay, Bute around 1725, would not have recognized the traditional Scottish attire or had a clue about family tartans?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    It seems Ironic. My paternal ancestor, born in Rothsay, Bute around 1725, would not have recognized the traditional Scottish attire or had a clue about family tartans?
    Why would you think that? He would have undoubtedly known about what was traditional at that time as opposed to what we now think of as traditional. Similarly, whilst there were no clan tartans per se it is entirely possible, even likely, that people in a given area used the local weaver and that he/she would have had a small range of stock patterns that people could could chose from depending on their pocket. It does not mean that everyone in the area or even in the same family would have worn the same thing but they would very likely be familiar with the local style. See this paper for an exporation of the idea
    A Regional Motif in old tartans from Appin and Lorn

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful article, I shared it with my local Scottish Society.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast