X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New sgian brew (and another sporran mod)

I decided I wanted something more unique than my generic sgian brew from Art Pewter. Plus, the standard bottle opener type doesn't stay in one's hose very well, so I wanted a full-size blade in a sheath. But unlike in the UK, New Jersey's strict knife laws don't make an exception for wearing a sgian with a kilt. Luckily I was able to get the last of Loch Ness Origins' blade-style bottle openers (at least until they get some more of them made), lest I risk a felony charge every time I get dressed up.

I suppose I should note that my woodworking experience is in lutherie rather than knifemaking, hence the unconventional construction methods. I cut out the shape of the tang in a piece of mahogany the same thickness as the blade, which I then sandwiched between two thinner pieces. The scales are walnut with mahogany trim and a basswood saltire, and a strip of walnut heartwood that I inscribed with my woodburning pen:

Here it is with the scales attached and cut flush to the core...

...and then shaped, masked, and ready for finishing:

As you can no doubt tell, I planned to add a mini crest badge. I have a Murray badge I got on clearance from Celtic Croft (originally on a dog tag necklace), but it was a different style than the Art Pewter cap badge I'd added to my sporran. I figure if I'm gonna be "matchy-matchy", they should at least, y'know, match. Luckily all it took was a bit of gentle coaxing with an X-Acto blade to remove the badge from my original sgian and swap them out:

Finally, here is the completed sgian, with both the mini badge and a spare button from my jacket affixed:

For those of you unfamiliar with ogham, the inscription reads "unfettered", a reference to Clan Murray's other motto (Firth, fortune, and fill the fetters).

Meanwhile, I decided to further mod my sporran. About a year ago I attempted to turn my daywear sporran into a semi-dress one, using jewelry findings from Jo-Ann:

I guess I'd consider the mod adequate, though was never totally happy with the still-clunky results of adding those bead cones. If only I'd checked the sewing notions, I'd've discovered that they carry actual tassel caps back then instead of a few weeks ago while shopping for an unrelated project. And while I was at it, I bored a few new holes so I could attach them with the lattice-chain style. Not only do I like how it looks, but they also flop around a lot less when I'm walking. Here is the final result, along with the sgian in its sheath (also from LNO):

Now with my waistcoat on the way, I just need to wait 'til I can afford more fabric to make the kilt to go with them. Rather than the makeshift dress outfit with one of my everyday kilts that I've been wearing, I'll finally have an outfit worthy of my accessories.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's stunning. I love the woodwork on the sgian! I wish I had the skills and patience to work with wood like you do!

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Alisdair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine work. I like when new projects are shown. Thanks for the photos of the progression. Many other members will be able to hone their own skills with this as a comparison.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive skills, artfully applied. Well done!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Fine work. I like when new projects are shown. Thanks for the photos of the progression. Many other members will be able to hone their own skills with this as a comparison.
    That was the idea. The last time I attempted woodcarving with an actual knife was back in Cub Scouts...and let's just say I still have the scar. But it's amazing what you can do with a hand saw and a miter box. In fact, I think it was the 45º slots on my miter box that gave me the idea for the saltire in the first place. I even did a search or two to make sure I wasn't inadvertently ripping off someone else, but only found sgians with actual Scottish flags on them. That being said, if someone here is inspired to attempt it, I certainly won't mind. I'll even be more than happy to guide them through the specifics.