X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose tabs in front?

I hope this is the right sub-forum for this question. I have noticed some folks wear their hose garter tabs on the front of their leg, as in on the shin, rather than on the side. Is this just personal preference, or is there some tradition behind it? Did one of the regiments wear them that way?

Thanks to any and all. Not trying to start a discussion on what is proper or not, just curious about the different method of wear.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally tie my garters so that the tabs end up resting at a 45 degree angle, so right in the middle between the side and the front. It started off simply because that's where I was tying the knot, and once I rolled the cuff over it I liked it much better. I think it shows better when seen from the front.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit I have never seen anyone sporting this look, although i am sure someone does.

It really seems that flashes/garters are worn on the outer side of the leg, although some folks wear them right at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions and others have them a little towards the front or the back.

Since flashes descend from hand-tied garters, it does seem like knotting them in front might get in the way. But I'm not aware of any specific tradition or story about which way is considered "proper" or any specific meaning to the position of one's flashes.

I look forward to the comments from those more knowledgeable than I.

Andrew

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The uniform regs of The Canadian Scottish Regt. here in Victoria say that the forward edge of the flashes will be aligned with the edge of the shinbone.
    So while not directly in front the flashes are at about 11:00 & 1:00 looking down.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    The uniform regs of The Canadian Scottish Regt. here in Victoria say that the forward edge of the flashes will be aligned with the edge of the shinbone.
    So while not directly in front the flashes are at about 11:00 & 1:00 looking down.
    This is the regulation in most, perhaps all, highland regiments. It is also the recommended position in all the drum major drill publications I have seen. Admittedly, these are written mostly by military or ex-military drum majors. A great many civilian pipe bands also adopt this regulation. It has the advantage of ensuring that everyone's flashes are in the same position instead of being all over the place, some near the front of the leg, some nearer the back, etc. The edge of the shinbone provides an easy point of reference.
    Last edited by imrichmond; 17th May 18 at 08:51 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a practical point of view. If garters get wet or mud laden and are worn in the front of the shin, they will bump straight into the leg and get uncomfortable quickly. If they are tied on the side (as "The Wiz" writes) the garter will slide along the side of the leg and not cause much discomfort if wet and muddy.

This is how and why I tie to the side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that if you are not part of a highland regiment or in a pipeband, you are not bound by any regulations.

I keep my garter ends (self tie) at about 10 and 2 but I don’t worry too much about them being perfect as I am never going to be reviewed for my kilt dress.

Try it in different ways and see what looks best to you.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like a Boy Scout

I first wore hose length socks with garters and flashes when I was in the Boy Scouts back in the 60's and 70's. The summer uniform included shorts and knee socks with garters and tab (or flashes). We wore them on the outside of the calf, which is how I wear mine now.

But, again, I started this thread as a quest for knowledge, so this is all good. Carry on with the comments.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About Dominions regiments I know next to nothing, but of the five old kilted regiments of Scotland three wore their flashes one way, two the other.

So the Black Watch and the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders wore their flashes with the leading edge of the front flash coming to the front centre-line of the diced hose.

The Gordon Highlanders, Cameron Highlanders, and Seaforth Highlanders wore their flashes more to the side, at around the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions on the leg, or with the leading edge of the front flash coming to the edge of the centre row of dicing.

For all five regiments, when plain hose are worn the flashes are worn in the same location they would be worn on their diced hose.

The vast majority of civilians wear their flashes at around the traditional 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions. You don't think about it when you're getting dressed, it's just the flashes usual place.

Time for photos!

The Black Watch, well showing the flashes lining up with the leg and dicing centre-line

Same with the Argylls

Camerons, the flash coming to the edge of the diamond rather that its centre

ditto Gordons

I just looked over around 100 vintage photos and flashes are seen in less than half of them.

When flashes are visible they're more to the side, around the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, or as far back as 9 and 3 o'clock.

This photo shows the typical look

Last edited by OC Richard; 17th May 18 at 07:09 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    if you are not part of a highland regiment or in a pipe band you are not bound by any regulations.
    Interesting that none of the pipe bands I've played in specified how to wear the flashes.

In those bands there were Old Hands who wore everything in a traditional nice-looking way and these people would give guidance to the newbies when necessary.

Flashes were always at the usual 10 and 2 positions (more or less) except one band where most of the Old Hands wore them in the forward BW/A&SH position. I wore my flashes like that when I played with them, though I can't remember it being mentioned.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th May 18 at 07:17 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast