X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    BY Golly father Bill. usually I'm not into full mask or fur sporrans but the one pictured has definitely changed my mind in that regard. What was the size of the interior pocket, does it have a fair bit of room? Can you show the site where you purchased it from.....I might like to get one as well
    That's K&M, Terry. I suspect they breed these little guys so they should be readily available.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you are asking Bill, in my experience the full "rodent" style sporran would get you by for most black tie events , but really won't do even these days, for the rare but ultra formal "white tie" event. It is really the proper time for the "family silver" to come out of the bottom drawer and anything else really won't do. Personally I would follow Steve's route and wear white tie and tails if you are "making do" with your kilt attire. Sorry.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    BY Golly Father Bill. usually I'm not into full mask or fur sporrans but the one pictured has definitely changed my mind in that regard. What was the size of the interior pocket, does it have a fair bit of room? Can you show the site where you purchased it from.....I might like to get one as well
    I’ll let you know when it scampers my way, Terry.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 2nd December 17 at 03:12 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have made a good choice. Other folks that are following this thread will have to decide which is the more formal sporran to wear. There is the option of rental for those that can not afford the long term cost of owning a full face sporran or silver cantle fur front sporran.

The folks like myself that can or will make their sporran, try to provide a quality item for the event. It is easier to defend our choice.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about all of this stuff, but I do have a large number of vintage photos.

Here are the only ones I have showing gents wearing white ties.

But usually the men in the most ornate dress are wearing lace jabot. Where does that fit in with levels of formality I wonder?

Now before somebody chimes in telling me that I shouldn't be telling people how to dress etc please note that I never told anybody anything. I'm just sharing old photos. If we speak of "traditional" might it not be fitting to peer into the past?

Oh, and here's an old catalogue that puts mask sporrans with the Day Dress sporrans

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th December 17 at 06:49 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, that’s much appreciated and it gives some context.

This is actually an odd event inasmuch as unlike what Steve was describing where all wear white tie, this is not a uniform event but rather a strangely “ranked” one. The members at large will wear dark lounge suits or Highliand dress. The officers and installing officers will wear black tie and dinner jacket or Highland dress and as Installing Officer, I have the option of black tie & dinner jacket, or white tie, or Highland Dress as my station is unique and senior. Similarly the officer representing the national body has the same options as I do.

It isn’t really therefore, a white tie event under the normal definition, but one at which I may wear white tie and tails, or very formal Highland wear or merely formal Highland wear.

It’s an odd-duck event!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The curious nature of the event kind of makes it a "choose your own adventure" opportunity. So your full mask sporran and whatever fancy Highland gear you wish to sport sounds like it's OK. If you go with the looks OC Richard posted, there are quite a variety of directions and combinations that might work in this unusual context.

Have fun!

Andrew

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I know nothing about all of this stuff, but I do have a large number of vintage photos.

Here are the only ones I have showing gents wearing white ties.

But usually the men in the most ornate dress are wearing lace jabot. Where does that fit in with levels of formality I wonder?

Now before somebody chimes in telling me that I shouldn't be telling people how to dress etc please note that I never told anybody anything. I'm just sharing old photos. If we speak of "traditional" might it not be fitting to peer into the past?

Oh, and here's an old catalogue that puts mask sporrans with the Day Dress sporrans

Interesting that almost all of the sporrans are either horse or goat hair. Not sure I could actually afford a silver cantle or justify one either. I think the roadent looks good
    Best regards David

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have been told, mask sporrans are acceptable for all occasions depending upon how they are adorned.

You can use a mask sporran unadorned from white tie down but an adorned one wouldn't look right with day wear.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question, Father Bill, is "what new textile do I need to commission for Christmas?"
    Since your lodge had decided who wears what, and since you're in charge of doing things at the event, wear the best-looking sporran you have, whether silver, rodent, or horse. And post pictures.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

19. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to piperdbh For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast