X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    What is the large black square on the outside of the inner apron? Is it a pocket or something?
    It is a pocket.

I tried to google it, to find out if thats standart on a kilt, but found nothing about pockets on the inner apron. After I don’t have a sporran, I think it comes handy for my cell phone and car keys, it doesn’t show when they are in the pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you had so much trouble with the customer service, but the kilt looks great - congratulations!
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised there are only two straps. Why do some kilts have two and some have three?
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    Surprised there are only two straps. Why do some kilts have two and some have three?
    Two straps on the kilt are far from unusual on the kilt in Scotland. According to my kilt maker, the kilt hangs better on the wearer with two straps, but that is, I think, more of a matter of professional opinion which differs from one kilt maker to the next.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th December 17 at 02:27 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About half of my Kilts have 2 straps and I prefer it that way.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about geting a 3rd strap, but there are no real advantages to two straps, only a $15 charge for the extra one. After I tried it on a few times, I have to say I’m happy to have only two straps, the kilt fits perfect and very easy to ajust with the two straps it has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I ask is that the cheaper stuff seems to have 2 while the more expensive has 3. At least with the pakistan stuff. If 2 straps works better, then I don't know why it wouldn't be derigueur.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I ask is that the cheaper stuff seems to have 2 while the more expensive has 3. At least with the pakistan stuff. If 2 straps works better, then I don't know why it wouldn't be derigueur.
    Oddly the closest kilt maker to me refuses to do anything other than 3 straps. I talked with her about adjusting the fit of my 3 strap kilt and removing the hip strap which she said she would not do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kilt is complete hand sewn here in Canada, the quality is very high, I wouldn’t call it a cheap model 😉😎.

At the time I ordered the kilt, I asked for the 3rd strap, but decided against it after the sales person told me there is no benefit in the 3rd strap.

If you think there is no real kilt without a 3rd strap than get one, it is your kilt, you have to feel good wearing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    Oddly the closest kilt maker to me refuses to do anything other than 3 straps. I talked with her about adjusting the fit of my 3 strap kilt and removing the hip strap which she said she would not do.
    Do you know Robert MacDonald in Vancouver , BC? I watch him on YouTube from time to time, he sounds like he knows what he is doing.

I wouldn’t take no for an answer, its your kilt, it should be done like you want it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast