X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Kilt advise

I am new to the world of kilts and don't really know where to start. I am looking for an inexpensive beginner quality kilt to start with (to make sure that this is something i will wear before dropping hundreds of dollars on kilts). That being said I came across an online company named Scottishkiltshop.com and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I am not looking for anything formal right now. i just want one for everyday wear. Also looking to spend under $100 on my first one if that is possible as well. Thank you for all your help.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I suggest you take a look at Stillwater Kilts. They are one of the advertisers here. You can see their ad on the right side banner.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is USA Kilts. I would advise against acrylic kilts as they almost always pill.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Another option is USA Kilts. I would advise against acrylic kilts as they almost always pill.
    I would also recommend this route. I have both types and yes, the acrylic ones do pill, some more than others but all to a degree. Although at home I wear acrylic ones daily, I have several i can rotate and some reserved for the more challenging tasks. However on a recent 3 week trip I wore a pv one of the same material as used by USA kilts in their casual kilt and, I suspect, a similar yardage (5) every day including nearly 40 hours of flights and on return it looked just as good as it did 3 weeks earlier. The pv one will be slightly heavier than an acrylic one of similar yardage, but feels quite cool and comfortable to wear in warmer environments.
    Last edited by tpa; 7th December 17 at 03:13 AM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both Stillwater and USAKilts inexpensive kilts in my closet. Both give good value for the money. If your $100 max is a hard number, then USA kilts meet that limit only in smaller sizes. They are a significantly better kilt, but also more expensive. Stillwater Thrity kilts are VERY inexpensive, but frankly good either as a costume, or if you are really uncertain if you want to wear a kilt and wish to spend the minimum possible. The Stillwater economy kilts are a real kilt that you can continue wearing for some time, for about half the cost of a USAKilts Casual. However, it is acrylic, and will pill, and will not hold a crease as well. The USAK Casual can also be may to your size, wiast, hip and length. The SWK Economy is off the rack only. So my recommendation is if you are willing to invest at or slightly above $100, go with the USAK Casual, you will get a much better product. If not, the SWK Economy will give you good value for your money. I always recommend that new kilt wearers stick with XMarks venders, since if they don't continue to provide good service, Steve will remove them.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree with anything the posters above have said. I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts.

1. I think you are taking a sensible approach. I also started out with a low-cost kilt (purchased at a Renaissance Faire) to test out the waters. And when I found that I liked the kilt and it got good responses from others, I quickly upgraded to a better model i could wear often and with pride.

2. Stillwater is a good source for reasonably-priced, entry level accessories to go with the kilt. As a beginner, you don't need all the bells and whistles. But I strongly suggest you go ahead and get an affordable sporran and a pair of knee-high socks to round out the look. The sporran is very practical and wearing it and kilt-length hose will make it easier to judge how much you enjoy wearing the kilt. If you enjoy it as much I expect, it will be easy to upgrade your socks and sporran at your convenience. But Stillwater definitely provides great value in beginner kilt gear.

Andrew

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's help so far. The $100 mark is just a round figure. I am ok with going over a little just wanted to stay close to it. I have been comparing stillwater standard with usakilt casual(due to pricing) and they make the decision hard. I like that usakilts does custom measuring so feel like i may get a better fit than the stillwater. That being said I like the straps and buckle closures from stillwater vs the Velcro on the usa casual. And from what I have read on this forum and a few others the usa is more resistant to pilling and the fabric breathes better so may be more suitable in the Texas heat. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheap jeans feel like cheap jeans, and give very little insight into what a good trouser might be like.

That is not meant to sound in any way a disparaging remark on the quality goods of our advertisers. Indeed, it echoes the remarks that you purchase a very good first kilt and not some cheap knock-off. The added bonus to that choice is that some of the $ can be recovered selling it off if, for some reason unknown to us here on the forum , the kilt just doesn't feel right as a clothing choice.

So, Jesse, my recommendation is to reach a decision on the level of quality you can afford for a kilt that will last through your everyday wear. I wouldn't recommend anything less than PV fabric. It wears well, looks good, and the 120z PV is absolutely fine in warmer climates - I wear mine in Mexico. Don't be too concerned about velcro closure instead of straps. A few styles of causal kilts use Velcro or snaps so its not unusual. And modifying later is always an option.

Their forums here allow you to ask USAK and Stillwater anything you'd like in making your decision.

Happy kilting

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to put in a plug for those companies that choose to support this forum over those that do not.

X Marks is a rather unique place on the web. Every one of the companies that are part of this community have made a conscious decision to offer the best quality products and the highest level of customer service. I personally vouch for their honest and straightforward business practices.
    Have you noticed that none of the businesses that are part of our community are trying to flood the forum with ads and constant promotions like you so often see elsewhere on the web?

Every person that advertises here are, first and foremost, members of the community. Members like everyone else before they are representatives of the company. You get to know them by name. They participate in our discussions and offer their professional advice. You can contact any one of them, at any time, and speak 1-on-1 in their dedicated forum section. Ask questions or make comments.

This group of companies are truly the "cream of the crop". None of them are fly-by-night operations in it just for the money.

We are approached on a daily basis by some of the same companies that you can find on EBay, Facebook and elsewhere on the web. Some have become advertisers but usually don't last very long. Some want your money and are not willing to go that extra step to support their customers after the sale. Some are run from garages or rented office space with nothing more than an answering machine. Some are web based only. (Have you ever noticed that some websites do not include an actual physical address?) Some are not the makers of the product they sell and just buy in bulk and re-sell are a profit.
    And unfortunately some are not as honest or forthright as they could be. In fact two of the companies who seem to get mentioned, were once advertisers here, but were found to be outright dishonest or were found to have less than upright business practices.

This concept of "X Marks as community" is vital to who we are. Anyone may register here and ask any question or make any comment they wish. The other members, including those who are also advertisers, help and advise these new folks. Not out of some profit based concept but because they really do care about the kilt.

Support them when you can because they give back.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well y'all have definately made me narrow down my choices. I have decided against the choice of scottishkiltstore.com and have now been looking at usakilts and stillwater kilts.(I would much rather purchase from a known company with good reviews than an unknown one)I have been trying to compare the stillwater standard vs the USA casual. These kilts are in the same price range but each offer different specs and buying options. I am a larger guy (5'9" 270lbs) I have a natural waist of 51" and a pant waist of 47" can someone of similar size tell me how well the Velcro holds up for larger individuals on usakilt casual kilt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast