X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bulk Order of California Tartan material?

OK, I was rooting through some older posts in some back threads and came across a tartan for the State of California. It's a nice looking Tartan, I like it!

........and I'm from California.

OK, so I'm gonna make my first kilt, as I keep writing on the forum, here (have to finish painting the house, first) and have decided that a tartan is actually probably the better way to go than a solid color.

I notice that a number of folks on the forum are interested in the California tartan.

OK, the web site where I saw the picture reports that they don't know if anyone actually weaves this cloth, but that possibly one of the weaves they work with would do it as a special order. OK, well, for me to get 5 yards of 24-inch fabric, or two-and-a-half yards of 48 inch fabric is probably not cost efficient and would be shockingly expensive.

But if I ordered two and a half yards of 48-inch tartan and five other people ordered two and a half yards, that would be six of us, and fifteen yards of fabric. Now that, they might actually do at a some-sort-of-reasonable price.

I'd want a mid-weight wool, probably around 11 ounce. 16 will be too heavy I'm sure.

Anybody interestd in this? If I hear from five or six of you, especially if one of you is a volume kiltmaker, I'll look into ordering and get some costs.

Alternatively, if a mess of us decide that we want California kilts then perhaps one of the volume manufacturers would consent to crank out a bundle of them and order the fabric, knowing that at least 5-6-7 would be sold.

OK, interested?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, link to the California Tartans....

I'm referring to the "All California" one, not the firefightes or Dept. of Forestry one.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/web/...tan=california

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bulk Order of California Tartan material?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H
    OK, I was rooting through some older posts in some back threads and came across a tartan for the State of California. It's a nice looking Tartan, I like it!

........and I'm from California.

OK, so I'm gonna make my first kilt, as I keep writing on the forum, here (have to finish painting the house, first) and have decided that a tartan is actually probably the better way to go than a solid color.

I notice that a number of folks on the forum are interested in the California tartan.

OK, the web site where I saw the picture reports that they don't know if anyone actually weaves this cloth, but that possibly one of the weaves they work with would do it as a special order. OK, well, for me to get 5 yards of 24-inch fabric, or two-and-a-half yards of 48 inch fabric is probably not cost efficient and would be shockingly expensive.

But if I ordered two and a half yards of 48-inch tartan and five other people ordered two and a half yards, that would be six of us, and fifteen yards of fabric. Now that, they might actually do at a some-sort-of-reasonable price.

I'd want a mid-weight wool, probably around 11 ounce. 16 will be too heavy I'm sure.

Anybody interestd in this? If I hear from five or six of you, especially if one of you is a volume kiltmaker, I'll look into ordering and get some costs.

Alternatively, if a mess of us decide that we want California kilts then perhaps one of the volume manufacturers would consent to crank out a bundle of them and order the fabric, knowing that at least 5-6-7 would be sold.

OK, interested?
    Hi Alan,
    I might be able to get a local weaver to make some California tartan, if there were enough people willing to buy some. I could also make kilts for those who don't want to make their own. That might help you get some buyers together.
    11 oz wool would be the fabric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm in for 2.5 yards of 48 or 52 inch wide fabric, assuming that the cost is somewhere in the $25-30 a yard range, rather than $50 a yard. If the local weaver does 24 inch wide bolts, then it'd be five yards. *duh* and it'd save me from having to cut the fabric in half and sew it together on the center seam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be game, but I won't have the money for another kilt for at least a couple months. A 13oz wool might be a nice compromise too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H
    Well, I'm in for 2.5 yards of 48 or 52 inch wide fabric, assuming that the cost is somewhere in the $25-30 a yard range, rather than $50 a yard. If the local weaver does 24 inch wide bolts, then it'd be five yards. *duh* and it'd save me from having to cut the fabric in half and sew it together on the center seam.
    The fabric would be 60" wide. If one of the guys you get to order fabric with you wants me to make a kilt for him, I could cut some of the fabric in half and let you have the other half. It would probably be in the $40.00/yard Canadian range. (appx $32.00 USD/yard.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if Bear's weaver were involved, the 10.5oz he uses would be fine with me.