X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tweed Inverness will keep most of the rain off and will even keep you warm even when soaked through. But, BUT apart from band use, if you want to look completely out of place, even more so than wearing the kilt, then wear an inverness. A warm "Barbour style" coat, a good bonnet(not a flat tweed cap with the kilt please) and an umbrella would be my choice in poor weather.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

As a tailor you probably know this, but I believe the Ulster is a double-breasted wool overcoat, not a cape at all. However, I am sure that you are correct about the "coachman's cape" being even warmer than an Inverness. There is another variation called a "great coat" that has the sleeves and shoulder cape on a regular overcoat body rather than a cloak.

Jock,
    Your Barbour jacket suggestion is a good one for rain. In Florida, an umbrella was sufficient for my foul-weather needs. But in Beijing, I have far more trouble with cold than rain. So I am planning to commission an inverness-styled cloak for use with the kilt in the wintertime here. I recall that using a home-made velour cloak, I was comfortable walking around New York City in the snow on a January visit several years ago. I'm hoping this wool version will be just as effective when the Mongolian wind whips down through my neighborhood.

I do agree that I will be rather conspicuous in a cloak, but at over 6 feet tall and with a reddish beard (now with many silver highlights), I always stick out in China, kilted or no. It's OK, because I get treated like a celebrity, everyone wants to say hello to me or get a picture together. I doubt the cloak will make me less popular with the curious.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Since I will be in Skye in early April, rain would be my first concern. I plan on having a sweater or tweed jacket for the cold, but was not sure what to do if caught in the rain in my kilt and jacket. I have an Australian waxed duster, but did not think it would look right with a kilt. Thank you for the good advice.
    I wore my Barbour Bedale waxed jacket with the kilt in Scotland. Great during rain or wind. It also has a detachable waxed hood option and a zip-in quilted waistcoat. I was able to use the waistcoat alone sometimes for lightweight warmth while hiking through stone circles, and wear the jacket with the liner for cold and wet days. Much more versatile than an Inverness cape, in my opinion. I can wear it to work, with the kilt, with jeans or chinos, etc...

The Bedale is shorter that other Barbour jackets, originally designed for horseback riding and works well with the kilt. My 2 cents....
    Last edited by California Highlander; 16th December 17 at 07:10 PM.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing some preliminary looking... Coachman's capes are NOT reasonably priced compared to a down jacket for example!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill-

You are right that commercially-available cloaks and capes are rather pricy. Luckily, my Beijing tailor is much more affordable.

California Highlander,

The Bedale is a good-looking jacket and Barbour is famous for their quality. However, the short length that makes it look good with your kilt prevents it from addressing the issue I am fighting: the icy Mongolian wind blowing up under the kilt and making me uncomfortable on my lower extremities. I am hoping that your area of California has better winter weather than my part of the Beijing suburbs, in which case the Bedale is a great solution.

I have a Harris Tweed jacket shaped like a high school varsity jacket that is similarly short, looks great with the kilt, and is a very comfortable choice in the spring and fall here. But even paired with a Shetland sweater and my heavy wool scarf I bought in India, it doesn't protect my knees on windy winter evenings, unfortunately. My down parka is also too short tp protect the knees, but is too long to wear with the kilt.

Andrew

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I've craved an Inverness the price has held me back. For winter I've found that a greatcoat does the job. Both old surplus greatcoats or reproductions of historic greatcoats work. Even a Navy Bridgecoat, though shorter than a greatcoat.

Guessing the pic attach from my computer thing still doesn't work, but I'll give it a shot.

Okay, the pics show up on "Preview Post" but not on the post itself. Use your imagination.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 18th December 17 at 10:08 AM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tweed Inverness has been on my wishlist for many years, and would definitely hold the elements at bay. If the budget allowed, I would have a barathea cape for evening and a tweed for the daytime!

Failing that, I tend to wear my Barbour walking coat for daywear. It’s nearly knee length and shows a bit of tartan beneath the hem.

I think that shorter jackets in the Barnstormer or pea coat style look rather sharp with a kilt as well.
    Last edited by RichardtheLarge; 7th March 18 at 11:11 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another alternative is an Australian Oilskin Duster

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    165078_4274739355341_235368783_n.jpg
    430872_4274738475319_1016288596_n.jpg
    From Mr Antony. Made to order.
    Now, the truth be told, I have worn it out twice. I live in Minnesota where temperatures reach -20 f. frequently. (With out the wind chill calculation)
    My most questionable article of highland attire.
    It is warm, stylish and very heavy.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had an Inverness Cape for years now and I love it. Mine was made in Pendelton wool by a member of this forum vmac3205. I am still pleased with it 10 years or so later, though I would love to have one in Harris Tweed one day.

16. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast