X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverness Cloaks

What are the functional differences wool and tweed Inverness cloaks? Is there a preference of one over another for rain-protection? Thank you in advance for your explanations.
    May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. - Irish Blessing

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Scooter For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, first off Tweed is usually woven from wool so they are the same fiber.

If you want rain protection may I suggest something like a "Mister Antony" brand "Band-Spec" model Inverness. These are a raincoat first and are what many bands wear.

The Inverness was originally a rain cape and would have been made from waxed canvas similar to a trench coat or duster.

Where we get the image of a Tweed cape coat is from Sherlock Holmes. In the books he is described as wearing an "Ulster" coat but by the time the stories got to the stage it was made from Tweed.

If you want primarily wind and cold protection an Inverness is OK but one that looks very similar but with sleeves, called a "Coachman's cape" will offer much better wind and cold protection.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    If you want primarily wind and cold protection an Inverness is OK but one that looks very similar but with sleeves, called a "Coachman's cape" will offer much better wind and cold protection.
    Is that something you would carry, Steve?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, sorry, I made mine myself.

I guess I should take a picture of my cape one day.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Well, first off Tweed is usually woven from wool so they are the same fiber.

If you want rain protection may I suggest something like a "Mister Antony" brand "Band-Spec" model Inverness. These are a raincoat first and are what many bands wear.

The Inverness was originally a rain cape and would have been made from waxed canvas similar to a trench coat or duster.

Where we get the image of a Tweed cape coat is from Sherlock Holmes. In the books he is described as wearing an "Ulster" coat but by the time the stories got to the stage it was made from Tweed.

Since I will be in Skye in early April, rain would be my first concern. I plan on having a sweater or tweed jacket for the cold, but was not sure what to do if caught in the rain in my kilt and jacket. I have an Australian waxed duster, but did not think it would look right with a kilt. Thank you for the good advice.
    May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. - Irish Blessing

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not in a band, you may want to look at Mr Antony's other site: http://www.invernesscapes.co.uk/raincapes.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a Mr. Antony's Ultimate for years. Love it. Even has straps on the cape's inside for your arms to help hold the cape down in the wind.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 15th December 17 at 09:04 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Since I will be in Skye in early April, rain would be my first concern. I plan on having a sweater or tweed jacket for the cold, but was not sure what to do if caught in the rain in my kilt and jacket. I have an Australian waxed duster, but did not think it would look right with a kilt. Thank you for the good advice.
    I have an Aussie waxed duster that I often wear with my kilt, however for ease of packing I’d recommend a band spec cape.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Take a T-shirt too. We often have a warm spell in April, especially later in the month. I've climbed in Skye in April when the temperature was in the low 70s f and it was warmer the Barcelona.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast