X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Burns Supper

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't promise I'll be there this year, but I have already updated last year's progrmme design and can provide a PDF file for anyone to print - I'll need to have the date and final names for the various addresses and toasts. Or I can provide a Microsoft Word doc for someone to fill in those details and print.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Creag For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Anyone want a specific part? Jump in. Wil or Creag, can you insert a reasonable facsimile of our past programs?

And, as I noted in the Chicago thread, @Creag, will sitting in with the big city bunch mean you'll not lower your ((new) standards to
    join us in the venerable village of Conyers?
    we do follow a "Order of Service" every year. We also ask that as many as possible get involved. The Address to the Lassies & the Lads are needed.
    The first year I attended (4years ago) there was a little band that played and we had a lady from Scotland that sang for us. We had some spontaneous readers that jumped up on the mic and recited their favourite Burns poems.
    So dust off your jackets, wash your hose and make sure your bonnets fit nice and tight! Let's make it a night to remember.
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not seeing volunteers appear. We need participation.

I finally got hold of Jim. He's closing on a condo sale this weekend, grandkids' Cub Scouts next weekend, and new grandkid due the next. Plus,
    an administrator left his school and he's covered up in paperwork. SO........no Jim this year. This means you. Yes, YOU. Don't think I don't see
    you ducking behind the desk, stand up and be helpful. Remember that everyone has survived multiple years of my attempt at the address to the
    haggis; and though a bit embarrassed at the lack of quality, I still can show without too much laughter on the group's part. I would respectfully
    ask that when choosing items to throw, please remember I am vegetarian, and it should be something I can eat.

We need a Toast, and a Response. An Immortal Memory. If no one saves me, I'll do the address again. I'm good for another shot at a song,
    and I'm pushing Lamar to do one. Anyone else?

Jim says people have been calling the Tavern wanting a date. We think next weekend is probably too short of time, so, the 27th? Please tell
    me you're feeling froggy, and willing to jump in.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks I don't think I'm going to make it this year. Will be spending the week at an Expo in Chicago and on top of being exhausted when I get back I'll have at least triple a week's worth of work, requests, and questions piled up.

So, Michael's in need of some help and support here ...

@Wareyin - I bet you'd do an awesome address to the lassies. What say ye?

@tripleblessed - I vote you don a wig, shove a couple of dinner rolls in your shirt and do the lassies' response.

Address to the haggis - it's already written so all that's needed is enthusiasm and the willingness to stab a haggis with a dirk.

That leaves the immortal memory and it's tough to think of someone as knowledgeable of Burns' poetry as Jim
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've written a speech since I was in high school! I'm not sure how good a job I can do, but unless someone else steps in to save my bacon, I guess I can try.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been notified that my grandmother is not doing well at all, so I may be called away for a funeral soon. I will try to do the toast, but right now I'm not sure if I'll be in town.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still not seeing what we need, so, am resorting to a call for head count. We need to be able to tell Greg how many folk, so.........who's in?
    @Crawdaddyvic , @kiltedsawyer , @Thomas H , @Alabama Celtic Lass , @mattie , @javankrona , @Joshua C , @Catharps , @Joe Sixpack ,
    @Ntaker @Bamamedic , @Leprechaun 91 , @WClarkB , @ohneplo . Will we see you? Will you volunteer? We need up front and we need
    audience, and somebody needs to eat haggis. And they need to know how big a haggis to bring. The suckers are catching on to their
    rarity in these parts, and tougher to find big ones these days. Have to start early, so let us know you'll be joining us.

@Chainsaw 02 , if you're still down south, please consider joining us. It may be possible to catch a ride from Birmingham.
    @GrainReaper , Conyers is small, parking available, no meters. Bit of a drive, but our treat.

Sam, sorry to hear your situation. Prayers. Join us if possible.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 16th January 18 at 05:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is this? Would love to join in, but if it's a weekend will be home in Birmingham.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for mentioning me and I would Love to attend indeed , but unfortunately I will not be able to.
    I do hope you all have a great time .
    thank you
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the death of the Heather & Thistle Society, it has been a hunt-and-peck effort to find a Rabbie Burns Dinner in the Houston area. This year, the Maxwells and the McIntyres will be joining the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society of Houston for its annual Burns Ceilidh and Supper this weekend, January 20.

http://www.houstonrscds.org/
    Last edited by Jack Daw; 17th January 18 at 06:08 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast