X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honeymoon - 3 weeks in Scotland - What to do?

The wife and I (32 and 33 years old) are starting to plan our honeymoon in Scotland. We'll be there for three weeks during the summer (starting mid-July).

Since it's our first time and time is limited, I need your advice on what to do and why.

Things and places we'd like to see:
    . Culture
    . Whisky (a couple distillery tours just have to be on our list)
    . Landscapes
    . Inverness
    . Edinburgh
    . Glasgow

We'll be travelling around by rental car and/or public transport to soak up as much as possible. Therefore:

What would you do?
    Where would you stay? (From B&B in no man's land to luxury hotel, we're up for it)
    How would you get around?

Thanks for helping us making this trip something special!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gealach View Post
    The wife and I (32 and 33 years old) are starting to plan our honeymoon in Scotland. We'll be there for three weeks during the summer (starting mid-July).

Since it's our first time and time is limited, I need your advice on what to do and why.

. Culture
    . Landscapes
    . Inverness
    . Edinburgh
    . Glasgow

We'll be travelling around by rental car and/or public transport to soak up as much as possible. Therefore:

What would you do?
    Where would you stay? (From B&B in no man's land to luxury hotel, we're up for it)

The Edinburgh Tattoo takes place in August, a must see if you are there at the right time. There are so many places to see it’s hard to know where to start, my next time home I will visit the Fairy Pools on the Isle of Skye.
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put Skye and the areas around the Kyle of Localsh on my list.

If staying in Skye I can recommend this B&B, great location, fantastic host and stunning views from your bedroom (the website does not do the accommodation justice it is very nice).

Car needed, take your time as some of the roads and people (mainly tourists) driving on them are challenging.

Take insect repellent the midges will be out in force by July (which is why I visited beginning of June this year)

Enjoy yourself

. Culture
    . Landscapes
    . Inverness
    . Edinburgh
    . Glasgow

What would you do?

Last edited by Nomad; 29th December 17 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for mentioning the tattoo fflex. That's definitely something we have to consider. They seem to have pretty nice packages available too...

@Nomad: I've heard about the midges. Are they really that bad?

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gealach For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't find the midges that bad at all, perhaps coming from South west Scotland, where it always warm and wet (therefore perfect midgie environment) I have thicker skin or maybe I have an inbuilt repellant.

My wife on the other hand was plagued by them, worst thing about them is unlike mosquitos they like to attack in force and because they are so small it is hard to kill them.

If they decide they like the way you taste then it could be a miserable time for you, so pack repellant.

Just remembered, best way to avoid them is to stay away from still water and boggy ground ( Glenfinnan monument is terrible place for them) if there's a breeze you should be okay as they get blown away very easily.

Thanks for mentioning the tattoo fflex. That's definitely something we have to consider. They seem to have pretty nice packages available too...

@Nomad: I've heard about the midges. Are they really that bad?
    Last edited by Nomad; 29th December 17 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While in Glasgow check out the Transportation Museum.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whiskey + castles = Aberdeenshire
    https://www.visitscotland.com/destin...en-city-shire/

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    The Royal Deeside is worth a visit!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am biased being originally from the west coast of Scotland and now living in the Southern Uplands near the English border and I have to admit that I have no love for Edinburgh.
    Glasgow, with its fine architecture, beautiful parks and vibrant waterfront is a must visit and in recent years some modern hotels have sprung up near the city centre and along the waterfront. Have afternoon tea in the Willow Tearooms on Sauchiehall Street and take tours of Glasgow University and Glasgow Cathedral. For the wife Glasgow is also good for shopping.
    Glasgow is a good jumping off point for days out to the Clyde and Argyll coastlines and a trip to Dumfries, the largest town in the south, where Robert Burns spent his last years. You can visit Burns house in Dumfries, also the 400 year old Globe Inn where Robert Burns was a regular customer and where you can enjoy a dram. Ferintosh Guest House in Dumfries is directly opposite the railway station and is owned by an xmarksthescot member, Pour1Malt, who offers discount rates to xmarkers, although he is not very active on this forum.
    Here in the Southern Uplands is a large concentration of tower houses and castles, testimony to years of strife with the English. If you are here during late March our Border Reivers Festival is a must see. Guests come here every year from all over the world. You could even take a short trip across the border and visit Carlisle Castle where some of the Scottish Reivers were imprisoned and be retold the story of the Reivers from the English perspective. The fastest trains from Glasgow reach Carlisle in just an hour and there are bargain fares to be had if you can book in advance.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least 2, preferably 3 days on Skye, a couple of days on Islay, don't miss Inverness and Culloden, hiking at Fort William up to Ben Nevis, the "Harry Potter" train from Fort William to Malig and back. There is a great lodge north of Fort William named Corriegour Lodge that is very nice and has wonderful views.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast