X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registration for Kilt Kamp usually opens in Jan or Feb. We have to work around Barb's teaching schedule and she usually does not know what that will be until around then. The classes are limited by the size of the available rooms at the two venues. They are normally first come-first served but we do keep an eye out for first comers as that is the whole reason for the Kamps.

Some do attend a second Kamp and yes we do have some regulars but if you wish to attend keep an eye out here and let Barb or I know.

Next year's Kamp is currently scheduled to be held on the campus of Hamilton College in Clinton, NY.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 19th July 18 at 03:50 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

I will be watching for it. I am hoping to have some Scottish wildcat tartan by then, and hope make a kilt at the Kamp. I will have made a practice kilt using TAoKM before that, and hope to use KK to nail down my skills.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the whole idea behind Kilt Kamp is that someone with the book, fabric, thread, a tape measure, needles and thimble, should be able to start out on day one brand new - and six days later walk out with a finished kilt.

Those who take the course a second time do so to refine their skills. Those who attended for a third or fourth time are usually there to spend time with Barb.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, truly, there are a bunch of different kinds of kilts to make, so people who come back for multiple Kilt Kamps do so for a whole variety of reasons: camaraderie, learning how to make a new style of kilt either from Steve or from me, or just carving out time from busy lives so that they know they can devote a week to kiltmaking without putting it off because of more pressing things in their lives (and I don't mean pressing as in Steve''s fleet of terrific pressing equipment! ).
    Last edited by Barb T; 19th July 18 at 06:03 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Well, the whole idea behind Kilt Kamp is that someone with the book, fabric, thread, a tape measure, needles and thimble, should be able to start out on day one brand new - and six days later walk out with a finished kilt.

Those who take the course a second time do so to refine their skills. Those who attended for a third or fourth time are usually there to spend time with Barb.
    By "brand new" do you mean without much in the way of sewing experience?
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup - whether you're making a kilt the way Steve does or the way I do, all that's required is attention to detail and a willingness to learn. We'll teach you the rest.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123