X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !
    My new favorite Jock quote!!

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ibrew4u For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richrail View Post
    While I agree with Jock, let me just say it does take a bit of time for us Americans to get over the matchy matchy thing. Over here most won't even care or notice your hose they will be to impressed with a man wearing a kilt.
    Not my one coworker who won't hesitate to tell me that my burgundy hose don't go with my MacCallum Modern kilt...though in general she's the type who needs to learn to shut up and mind her own business once in a while, so I've long since come to ignore her frequent, unsolicited criticism.

Yeah, what a garishly unsightly combination, right?

I do tend to match my hose to my t-shirt or sweater for daily wear, and in turn stick to hose that alternately match or complement a particular kilt (e.g. I'm just as likely to pair the MacCallum kilt with navy hose as with burgundy). And while some of you may recall my own thread inquiring about the various Lewis colors for the dress outfit I'm in the process of assembling, it was as much to do with liking the color itself as to whether or not it matches/complements the rest of the outfit. So I personally would go with the Ancient green over the Lovat simply because it's a richer shade and thus more appealing to my eyes...in fact, I wound up purchasing exactly that on my last visit to USA Kilts.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed when I'm passing someone, particularly guys,that they seem to be looking at either my shoes,socks or flashes.I'm not sure why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dollander I think you're right ,originally I thought the green in the Black watch was close to Lovat ,but looking again it looks more like Ancient.Or at least more like Ancient than Lovat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black-watch-outfit-2_3_kindlephoto-533585442.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	32832

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note I will add one of my favorite combinations with my Black Watch utility is the Bison hose with dark green flashes.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe

Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I have noticed when I'm passing someone, particularly guys,that they seem to be looking at either my shoes,socks or flashes.I'm not sure why.
    Maybe you are just imagining that.....they just might be looking at where they are putting their feet... heh! heh!.......I don't know why but when I wear my kilted attire, I think I stand straighter and walk bit more confidently and am usually ready to smile more. I must say though I never really worry about what others might think about what I'm wearing. I don't wear my kilt as a costume, and I certainly don't try to imitate Highland dress...I'm not from The highlands or anywhere in Scotland, I'm a west coast Canadian who just likes wearing kilted attire ....and did have Scots and Irish grand parents.....on both sides they were so poor they never could have afforded, what we now consider "good" clothes

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note I will add one of my favorite combinations with my Black Watch utility is the Bison hose with dark green flashes.
    I wore bison hose with my Black Watch kilt just the other day. It worked very well.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my opinions of colours

The only problem with that is I never wear tie,I guess I could start. Maybe they would look good with something like this.This outfit could use a little more color anyhow.Attachment 32815Attachment 32816
    Just my opinion, but every tartan in a kilt will stand by itself and as has been suggested by others, sometimes trying to match colours takes away from the whole ensemble; makes it into a bit of a costume or uniform, I don't often agree with everything Jock says, we all have our own opinions, but in this case I really do agree with him, matchy matchy often distracts rather than compliments

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    Just my opinion, but every tartan in a kilt will stand by itself and as has been suggested by others, sometimes trying to match colours takes away from the whole ensemble; makes it into a bit of a costume or uniform, I don't often agree with everything Jock says, we all have our own opinions, but in this case I really do agree with him, matchy matchy often distracts rather than compliments
    That's true I guess,and I do like the way the tartan does stand out in the outfit, but if he wanted to jazz it up a little I think those yellow socks or maybe even the dark red ones would look pretty nice.
    Last edited by tokareva; 7th January 18 at 03:59 PM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I know the last post on this was nine days ago, but the weather has prevented me from taking this until now (and I couldn't do it indoors because the lighting in my apartment is terrible...and it's kind of a pigsty ). But if you're still curious how the ancient green hose will look with a Black Watch kilt, here they are with my MacCallum Modern...so just try to imagine it without the pale blue stripes and you'll get the general idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancientgreenhose.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	32892

18. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast